Rocket Motion Problem: Finding Maximum Speed and Height at Burnout

In summary: The additional equation v2 = ... is used because the rocket doesn't suddenly stop once the fuel is gone.
pentazoid

Homework Statement

A rocket of initial mas M, of which M-m is fuel, burns its fuel at a constant rate in time tau and ejects the exhausts gases with constant speed u. The rocket starts from rest and moves vertically under uniform gravity . Show that the maximum speed achieved by the rocket is u ln([tex]\gamma[/tex])-g[tex]\tau[/tex] and that its height at burnout is

u[tex]\tau[/tex](1-ln([tex]\gamma[/tex])/([tex]\gamma[/tex]-1) where [tex]\gamma[/tex]=M/m[assume that the thrust is such that the rocket takes off immediately.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I had no trouble finding v, I had trouble integrating v to obtain the height. v=u ln (gamma)-g*tau . h=[tex]\int[/tex]v dt= [tex]\int[/tex]u*ln(m0/m(t))-.5*gt^2

u is treated as a constant I think since I am integrating v with respect to dt. [tex]\int[/tex]ln([tex]\gamma[/tex])=[tex]\gamma[/tex]*ln([tex]\gamma[/tex])-[tex]\gamma[/tex]. Now I am stuck on this part of the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are integrating a ln function. The integral is

int[ln(ax)] = xln(ax) - x.

The exhaust velocity, u, is treated as a constant. This integral is obtained by integrating by parts. An introductory calculus text will have the derivation for the intergral of ln(ax). Apply the limits of integration to each part of the solution.

Sorry about the previous post. Your equation for v is correct. Since v = dx/dt, separate the variables such that dx is on the left side and dt is on the right side. Recall, you are finding the maximum height so integrate dx from x = 0 to x = h and integrate (u ln (gamma) - gt)dt from t = 0 to t = tau. Then the remainder of the rocket flight is only under the force of gravity and becomes a vertically fired projectile with an initial velocity. Use v2 = vo2 - 2g(x - xo) to find the additional height by setting v2 = 0. Add this height, x - xo to the height at burnout.

chrisk said:
Sorry about the previous post. Your equation for v is correct. Since v = dx/dt, separate the variables such that dx is on the left side and dt is on the right side. Recall, you are finding the maximum height so integrate dx from x = 0 to x = h and integrate (u ln (gamma) - gt)dt from t = 0 to t = tau. Then the remainder of the rocket flight is only under the force of gravity and becomes a vertically fired projectile with an initial velocity. Use v2 = vo2 - 2g(x - xo) to find the additional height by setting v2 = 0. Add this height, x - xo to the height at burnout.

so I should still integrate (u ln (gamma)-gt)dt I am okay with that part of the problem and I am okay with integrating ln (gamma) because I can integrate ln(gamma) using integration by parts. How would the equation v2 = vo2 - 2g(x - xo) assist me in helping me find the height? Why do I even need the equation for v^2 for this problem?

The additional equation v2 = ... is used because the rocket doesn't suddenly stop once the fuel is gone.

chrisk said:
The additional equation v2 = ... is used because the rocket doesn't suddenly stop once the fuel is gone.

I am integrating u*ln (gamma)-gt)dt to obtain the height. I don't see any other use for the additional equation. couldn't I just plug in my initial conditions in u*ln (gamma)-gt)dt to find the maximum height?

Sorry, you do not need the additional equation. I missed the part "max height at burnout". Yes, just evaluate the integral using the initial conditions for height and time and the final time tau.

Related to Rocket Motion Problem: Finding Maximum Speed and Height at Burnout

1. What is a rocket motion problem?

A rocket motion problem involves determining the maximum speed and height a rocket will reach during its flight based on various factors such as its initial velocity, acceleration, and air resistance.

2. How do you calculate the maximum speed of a rocket at burnout?

The maximum speed of a rocket at burnout can be calculated using the rocket equation, which takes into account the mass of the rocket, the mass of the fuel, and the specific impulse of the rocket's engine. It can also be calculated by analyzing the forces acting on the rocket, such as thrust and drag.

3. What is the significance of finding the maximum height of a rocket at burnout?

The maximum height of a rocket at burnout is important because it determines the overall performance and capabilities of the rocket. It can also help in determining the trajectory and landing location of the rocket.

4. How does air resistance affect the maximum speed and height of a rocket at burnout?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly reduce the maximum speed and height of a rocket at burnout. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the rocket's motion, slowing it down and decreasing its overall energy.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving rocket motion problems?

Solving rocket motion problems is crucial in designing and launching rockets for space exploration and satellite missions. It is also important for developing efficient and effective propulsion systems for rockets. Additionally, understanding rocket motion can help in predicting and mitigating potential hazards during launches.