Safe to remove inner wall of pond or will it burst?

• Thread starter peter2108
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pond Wall
In summary, the conversation discusses the safety of removing the inner wall of a raised fishpond and the potential risk of the outer wall bursting. The total force on the long side of the wall is calculated, but the discussion also considers the balancing forces and the potential failure of the outer wall. The speaker is unsure about the interpretation of the calculations and raises questions about the strength and durability of the interlocking wooden blocks used in the construction.
peter2108
Safe to remove inner wall of pond or will it burst??

1.Problem
I have a fishpond. It is raised 0.4m above the ground, the wall being interlocking wooden blocks. The blocks are all locked together all the way round so they could be picked up and put down somewhere else. The pond is 2.4m long by 1.6m. In fact the bounding wall is double skinned, the inner wall is connected to outer by a buttreses.I don't think the inner wall is needed. I would like to remove it. But is the force on the walls enough to make this imprudent.The guy selling the blocks originally said you needed a double skin. ... but he would wouldn't he?

Can I remove the inner wall safely? Might the wall burst?

Homework Equations

After removing inner wall total force on long side is
[itex]\int ^{h}_{0} \rho \; g \; w \; y \; dy [/itex]
where [itex]\rho[/itex] is density of water, [itex]g[/itex] is acceleration due to gravity, [itex]h[/itex] is height and [itex]w[/itex] is length of wall.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the total force on the long side is [itex]1/2 \times 1000 \times 9.81 \times 2.4 \times 0.4^{2} \ = \ 1883 [/itex]. Sounds quite a lot. But the force on the North side of the wall is exactly balanced by the force in the opposite direction on the South side. So it can be ignored? Surely not. Again the length of the wall affects the total force so that a side of 24m instead of 2.4m would be under 10 times the force. But my intuition is that the length of the sides does not matter. It's all about the dam bursting and that seems to depend only the pressure which is [itex]1883/2.4 \ = \ 784 [/itex]. But how to interpret this? I think if I divide by [itex]g[/itex] I get the "weight" of the water pressing on the wall which would be [itex]784/9.81 \ = \ 79[/itex]. I think that is far too high. So now I am puzzled.

Physics news on Phys.org

Without diving into your analysis, you need to know the conditions that would make the outer wall fail if the inner wall was removed. How close would you be to the failure condition? How comfortable are you with being that close? Be advised that the outer wall will fail at its weakest link--how uniformly constructed are these interlocking wooden blocks? How long do you expect this structure to last? Even pressure-treated wood is a semi-permanent solution.

Related to Safe to remove inner wall of pond or will it burst?

1. Can I safely remove the inner wall of my pond?

It depends on the structure and stability of the pond. It is recommended to consult a professional before attempting to remove any walls.

2. Will removing the inner wall of my pond cause it to burst?

If the pond is properly designed and constructed, removing the inner wall should not cause it to burst. However, any changes to the structure of the pond should be done carefully and with caution.

3. What are the risks of removing the inner wall of a pond?

Removing the inner wall of a pond can potentially weaken the structure and compromise its stability. It can also disrupt the ecosystem and harm any aquatic life living in the pond.

4. How do I know if it is safe to remove the inner wall of my pond?

A professional assessment of the pond's structure and stability should be conducted before making any changes. The type of material used for the wall and the overall condition of the pond should also be taken into consideration.

5. Can I replace the inner wall of my pond with a different material?

It is possible to replace the inner wall of a pond with a different material, but it is important to ensure that the new material is suitable for holding water and will not cause any harm to the pond's ecosystem. It is best to consult a professional for guidance on suitable materials and proper installation techniques.