Safety School for Quantum Computing/Atomic Physics

In summary, the individual is a recent graduate from UCLA with a degree in chemistry and is looking to pursue a graduate degree in physics, specifically in quantum computing, atomic physics, or nuclear physics. They have four safety schools in mind, but are open to recommendations for lower tier schools with strong atomic physics programs. The individual has a strong application and research experience, but their degree and research background are not in physics. They are also considering applying to some chemistry departments. The suggested schools for atomic physics and quantum computing include University of Rochester, University of Arizona, and University of New Mexico, which have good programs and options for working with faculty from both physics and chemistry departments. The individual is advised to research other chemical physics programs to compare requirements, admission
djh101
Hello, Physics Forums. I am a recent graduate from UCLA with a bachelors in chemistry. I would like to pursue a graduate degree in physics in (in order of preference) quantum computing, atomic physics, or nuclear physics. Right now I have four schools that I think are fairly safe but, my degree being in chemistry rather than physics, I am a bit worried about getting in somewhere. So can anyone recommend some lower tier schools with decent atomic physics programs? It's easy enough to research the more famous schools, but there's probably some decent schools out there that I haven't even heard of. Do my current safety schools seem safe enough (I know safe does mean as much as in undergraduate, but I don't think anyone would argue that Oregon State isn't safer than CalTech)?

Schools:
U. Washington (first choice)
USC (tied for first)
U. Boulder (third choice)
U. Oregon (fourth choice, fairly safe?)
Oregon State (safety)
UC Merced (safety)
South Dakota School of Mines (safety)

To give a little more information about myself, I think I have a fairly strong application (electives in linear algebra, ode, nonlinear de, mathematical methods, e&m, and classical mechanics; all As and A+s in upper division physics, math, and physical chemistry, except for an A- in nonlinear de and a B in thermodynamics; strong letters; research experience with publications, although in geochemistry), my main shortcoming being that my degree, nor my research experience, are in physics. Although, overall, physical chemistry research groups haven't sparked my interest as much as the physics ones, I will likely be applying for a few chemistry departments as well.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would look into University of Rochester, University of Arizona, and University of New Mexico for atomic physics and quantum computing. Arizona has a chemical physics program that will allow you the option to work with some faculty in either physics or chemistry. New Mexico has the Center for Quantum Information and Control that is ran by people from Arizona and New Mexico. Rochester has good groups in these areas as well. These universities are not highly ranked, but they are well known in these areas.

Try looking into other chemical physics programs and see what their requirements, admission criteria, and opportunities are - each one is different.

New Mexico looks like a good choice, thank you. Interesting how they state that scoring 800+ on the physics GRE exempts students from taking the preliminary exams.

Related to Safety School for Quantum Computing/Atomic Physics

1. What is a safety school for quantum computing/atomic physics?

A safety school for quantum computing/atomic physics is a higher education institution that offers programs and research opportunities in the fields of quantum computing and atomic physics. These schools typically have specialized faculty and resources dedicated to these areas of study.

2. How do I know if a safety school is the right fit for me?

Choosing the right safety school for quantum computing/atomic physics depends on your academic goals, research interests, and career aspirations. It's important to research the school's curriculum, faculty, and resources to determine if it aligns with your interests and goals.

3. What makes a safety school stand out in the field of quantum computing/atomic physics?

A safety school may stand out in the field of quantum computing/atomic physics by having renowned faculty, state-of-the-art facilities, and strong research programs. They may also have collaborations with industry or other institutions, providing students with valuable opportunities for hands-on experience.

4. Are there any prerequisites for attending a safety school for quantum computing/atomic physics?

Most safety schools for quantum computing/atomic physics require a strong background in physics, mathematics, and computer science. Some may also have specific course requirements or minimum GPA requirements. It's important to research the admissions requirements of each school you are considering.

5. What are the career opportunities for graduates of a safety school for quantum computing/atomic physics?

Graduates of a safety school for quantum computing/atomic physics may pursue careers in research, academia, or industry. They may work in fields such as quantum computing, atomic and molecular physics, material science, or data analysis. Graduates may also go on to pursue advanced degrees in these fields.