SAT 1 scores in Are these good enough?

• Testing
  • Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sat
In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's SAT scores, which are 630 in Critical Reading (85th percentile), 740 in Math (97th percentile), and 650 in Writing (90th percentile). The individual expresses disappointment in their Critical Reading and Writing scores, but satisfaction with their Math score. They also mention their plans to apply to elite universities for Theoretical Physics and ask if their scores will have a positive or negative effect. The response states that while the scores may have a positive effect at most places, they may have a negative effect at MIT, Princeton, Stanford, and Caltech. The conversation then shifts to discussing the importance of SAT scores in college admissions and the individual's personal experience with preparing for the test. In
Werg22
Ok so I got

Critical Reading 630 85th percentile
Math 740 97th percentile
Writing 650 90th percentile

I Have to say I'm disappointed in CR and writing sections. However I'm satisfied with Math. If I'm applying into Theoretical Physics at say MIT, Princeton, Standford and Caltech, will these scores have a positive or negative effect?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At most places, probably a positive effect. At MIT, Princeton, Stanford, and Caltech, probably a negative effect.

I got into the University of Chicago with very similar scores, but you do need to realize that colleges base decisions on much more than SAT scores.

d_leet said:
I got into the University of Chicago with very similar scores, but you do need to realize that colleges base decisions on much more than SAT scores.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for :-p I'm in the IB, so taking the test along with several projects and 4 exams, made it very hard. I was working for 7 hours a day. On the test day I barely got any sleep... Still I'm disappointed, I learned 750 new words in 3 days in order to get a good score on the CR section... guess it didn't work, despite getting above 700+ on my practice tests. If only I had an extra month, I could rise my score by at least 100 points. Oh well, can't do much about it. At least the math score isn't too shabby.

Last edited:
What do you do *outside* of school?

I'm not kidding... at the elite universities, SAT scores and grades are little more than a first pass filter to weed out the obviously unsuitable. No one gets into MIT, Princeton, Stanford and Caltech because of good grades and SAT scores... although bad grades and low SAT scores can keep you out.

Related to SAT 1 scores in Are these good enough?

What is a good SAT 1 score?

A good SAT 1 score is typically considered to be above 1200 out of 1600. However, what is considered a good score may vary depending on the individual's goals and the schools they are applying to.

How do I know if my SAT 1 scores are good enough?

You can compare your SAT 1 scores to the average scores of students admitted to the schools you are interested in. You can also consider your own academic strengths and weaknesses, as well as other factors such as extracurricular activities and essays, when determining if your scores are good enough.

What happens if my SAT 1 scores are not good enough?

If your SAT 1 scores are not good enough, it may limit your chances of being admitted to certain schools or programs. However, it is important to remember that SAT scores are just one aspect of your overall application, and you may still have other strengths that can make you a competitive applicant.

Can I retake the SAT 1 to improve my scores?

Yes, you can retake the SAT 1 to try and improve your scores. However, it is important to carefully consider if retaking the exam is the best option for you and to prepare effectively in order to see an improvement in your scores.

Do all schools require SAT 1 scores?

No, not all schools require SAT 1 scores as part of their admissions process. Some schools may have alternative testing requirements or may not require testing at all. It is important to research the specific requirements of the schools you are interested in applying to.