SAT math: is this a valid question?

In summary, The College Board's website contains a "SAT question of the day" feature, which is regularly checked by students preparing for the SAT. Today's question asked for the least number of trees needed to arrange 4 trees on each line of a given plan. The correct answer is 10, based on the reasoning that points where two lines intersect should have trees placed on them to minimize the number of trees needed. Some students found the question difficult due to the use of the word "tree" and the potential for multiple interpretations. However, SAT questions are designed to test students' knowledge and retention of high school concepts, rather than creativity or explanation.
Zorodius
The College Board's website contains a "SAT question of the day" feature. As I'm going to be taking my SAT I's (as well as three SAT II tests, lucky me) in the near future, I check it on a regular basis in conjunction with the rest of my studies.

Today's question seems completely crazy, though. I'd link to it, but the link would change by tomorrow, so I'll just copy it here:

It was accompanied by this image.

The LEAST number of trees one would need in order to arrange 4 trees on each line of the plan above is

Would you be able to confidently answer this question using only the information presented above? Give it a try before reading on.

The correct answer is apparently 10, and here's the reasoning they use:

Since a point that is located where two lines intersect is considered to lie on both of those lines, you want to put trees on as many intersection points of the lines in the figure as possible in order to minimize the number of trees needed. There are 10 points where two lines intersect. With a tree in each of these 10 locations, there are then 4 trees on each line of the figure. Thus, the least number of trees needed is 10.

Based on this, I think they're talking about actual, real-life trees, and that pattern is supposed to be drawn in soil from a bird's-eye perspective. I could be mistaken, though.

If that is correct, I feel that it is not at all reasonable to expect someone to be able to answer this question with the provided information. The word "tree" has mathematical connotations that come to mind long before I'd ever think of arranging literal flora in an abstract pattern.

So, my question is this: Is the question, in your opinion, a valid one for this sort of test (and therefore answerable using only the information provided), or is it sufficiently flawed to be inappropriate?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Actually, I thought of 'real life' trees immediately.
The only other tree I know of is a graph without any loops, but if you use that notion, the question doesn't make any sense. So it seems obvious to me.

I thought it was fine. But then again, I've seen a few problems formulated in terms of (floral) trees, and placing them in arrangements with certain properties was one of the more common themes.

I don't think there are any ambiguities here: you don't place mathematical trees onto lines, and plans are generally drawn from above.

If a problem ever doesn't make any sense, just try to change your perspective. Don't follow down one path of thinking blindingly. (I've lost a quite a few questions because of this...)

Mathematical trees aren't on the SAT I anyway.

On the SAT, a tree is a member of family plantae, a big thing with a hard, brown cylindrical base and a softer, green head.

You certainly can form trees out of the figure, and the question "what is the least number of trees you'd have to stack on top of the figure so that each line is occupied by at least four trees" is a question that can be legitimately answered, it's just complicated.

I realize that it's important to try different ways of looking at a problem instead of getting stuck on just one, but that doesn't change the fact that the way this problem is worded leaves it readily open to more than one interpretation. That could be easily avoided by replacing the word "trees" with something like "pebbles".

Scholastic Aptitude Tests are intended to measure how well a student has retained knowledge that he could reasonably be expected to have been exposed to in high school.

Generally, the simplest, most common interpretation of a test question will get you better results than finding the most creative answer - even when the more creative answer might display more knowledge.

You don't get to explain your answers. They're scanned and read into a computer and the computer grades them. Trying to impress a computer is about as effective as saluting a telephone pole - they don't even know the concept exists.

Sat scorees range too
my PSAT I got an 80/80 which predicts 800 on SAT 1 math
then i got 710 it was just random stuff-- for example I didn't know how many days were in a month which was needed to insert into a basic function
all in all
sat math is real easy

BobG said:
You don't get to explain your answers. They're scanned and read into a computer and the computer grades them. Trying to impress a computer is about as effective as saluting a telephone pole - they don't even know the concept exists.
Thanks for clearing that up, Bob! I thought telephone poles were sentient, but now that you point it out, it all "clicks" for me.

Sorry, that probably didn't come across that well.

The point is that to give the answer you gave, you had to be looking for the answer that would show the highest degree of knowledge. The tests don't work that way. They're very straight forward and there's only one acceptable answer - as opposed to the possibility of constructing a test to award so many points for answer a, so many points for answer b, etc., which might actually look for the type of answer you gave.

Related to SAT math: is this a valid question?

1. What is the purpose of the SAT math section?

The purpose of the SAT math section is to assess a student's mathematical skills and ability to solve problems using math concepts. It is used as a standardized measure for college admissions and scholarship decisions.

2. How is the SAT math section scored?

The SAT math section is scored on a scale of 200-800, with 200 being the lowest score and 800 being the highest. Each correct answer earns 1 point, while incorrect or skipped answers do not deduct any points. The final score is a combination of the scores from the two math sections, which are then converted to a scale of 200-800.

3. Are calculators allowed on the SAT math section?

Yes, calculators are allowed on the SAT math section. However, only certain types of calculators are permitted, such as basic or scientific calculators. Graphing calculators are not allowed. It is important to check the official SAT website for the list of approved calculators before the test.

4. Can I use scratch paper on the SAT math section?

Yes, scratch paper is provided for students to use on the SAT math section. It is important to use this paper wisely and efficiently, as there is a limited amount provided. Students can also use their test booklet to do any scratch work.

5. How can I prepare for the SAT math section?

There are several ways to prepare for the SAT math section, including reviewing math concepts and formulas, practicing with official SAT practice tests, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher. It is also important to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions on the SAT math section to improve your test-taking skills.