SDS vs Dodecanol Hydrolysis: What's the Difference?

• Thread starter Telmerk
  • Start date
In summary, Lauryl alcohol is a hydrolysis product of sodium lauryl sulfate. SDS can form dodecanol, which can be reduced anaerobically to sulfide. Bacterial contamination of dilute soap solutions is common.
Telmerk
Dear Forumers,

Can anyone help me?
I need information about the hydroylsis of SDS (sodium dodecyl sulphate). :confused:
Dodecanol forms from SDS, is it true?

Thank you very much in advance!

T. the M.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What type of hydrolysis, bacterial, chemical?

Lauryl alcohol is indeed a hydrolysis product of sodium lauryl sulfate.

What type of hydrolysis, bacterial, chemical?

Chemical, I think. My observation is the following: I mix a little amount (0.05mass%) of SDS with distilled water, and I can make nice foam from it without any problem. But after a few weeks I cannot create nice foam. Probably it is due to the formation of dodecanol from SDS (sodium dodecyl sulphate), but I don't know for sure what it is process, I've never heard about it.

Last edited:
I have never heard of a chemical hydrolysis occurring at the pH of distilled water + SDS. Perhaps some bugs are growing in it? Bacterial contamination of dilute soap solutions is very common.

Well, I have simply no idea.. :confused:

There can be bacterial contamination. Do you mean that this can cause the loss of foamability of the mixture? Can you please clarify me what does bacterial hydrolysis mean?

To tell the truth I didn't find anything in the literature about the hydrolysis of SDS in distilled water. Do you mean that the formation of dodecanol cannot occur spontaneously in this system? (This mixture is stored for a long time, weeks, in room temperature.) Does it need a certain pH-value?

Thanks for help in advance, youre very kind! :rolleyes:

T.

Dilute, pure soap solutions are a growth medium for bacteria. Unless extreme processing conditions are employed both at the user's end and the soap producer's end, bacterial contamination is inevitable. Soap manufacturers are always plagued with bugs growing in their products and include bacteriostats (chemicals) and careful handling controls in their products. Bacterial hydrolysis of SDS (also known as SLS or sodium lauryl sulate) occurs readily to produce dodecanol and inorganic sulfate. The sulfate can be reduced under anerobic conditions to sulfide. Dodecanol rapidly degrades further to CO2 under aerobic conditions. Signs of bacterial contamination include cloudiness, pressurized containers and odd smells, especially sulfide to which your nose is extremely sensitive.

Abiotic hydrolysis of sulfate would probably require a fairly high pH or a fairly low pH. Unless you have measured the pH and confirmed one of these conditions, abiotic hydrolysis is not likely the culprit.

Look on the back of your hair shampoo sometime. You will see one or several ingredients near the end of the ingredient list that are the biocides (methylisothiazolinone, benzalkonium chloride, potassium sorbate, methylchloroisothiazolinone, BHA, BHT, etc...). These bacteriostats/fungicides/algacides are required for the shampoo 'concentrate' to remain stable on the shelf.

Many thanks

Dear Chemisttree,

That's amazing, many-many thanks for your reply! :smile:

You helped me a lot, I learned a lot!

Kind regards,

T.the M.

Related to SDS vs Dodecanol Hydrolysis: What's the Difference?

1. What is SDS and dodecanol?

SDS (sodium dodecyl sulfate) and dodecanol (also known as lauryl alcohol) are both surfactants commonly used in scientific research and industrial applications. SDS is an anionic surfactant, while dodecanol is a non-ionic surfactant.

2. What is the difference between SDS and dodecanol?

The main difference between SDS and dodecanol is their chemical composition. SDS is a negatively charged molecule, while dodecanol has no charge. This difference affects their properties and behaviors in various reactions and applications.

3. What is hydrolysis and how does it relate to SDS and dodecanol?

Hydrolysis is a chemical reaction in which a compound reacts with water to form different compounds. In the case of SDS and dodecanol, hydrolysis can occur when these surfactants are exposed to water under certain conditions. This reaction can result in the breakdown of the molecules and the formation of new compounds.

4. What are the applications of SDS and dodecanol hydrolysis?

The hydrolysis of SDS and dodecanol has various applications, such as in detergents, emulsifiers, and in the production of other chemicals. It is also used in the preparation of samples for electrophoresis and in protein solubilization for biochemical experiments.

5. What factors influence the rate of SDS and dodecanol hydrolysis?

The rate of hydrolysis for SDS and dodecanol can be influenced by several factors, such as pH, temperature, concentration, and the presence of other chemicals or enzymes. The type of surfactant used and the conditions under which the reaction takes place can also impact the rate of hydrolysis.