Second order differential equation

In summary, the conversation is discussing an ODE that needs to be solved in MATLAB Simulink. The equation is quite complex and involves terms such as x, x', θ, and θ'. The person is asking for help in understanding the type of equation and how to approach solving it. They also mention using Laplace transformation and Runge-Kutta numerical technique. Finally, they share a snapshot of the original problem and express confusion about what to do with x and x' in the integrator block of Simulink.
engnrshyckh
i am given an equation which i have to solve in simulink. the equation is quite veered to me. some one help me in understanding what kind of equation it is so that i can solve it in MATLAB simulink.
(2+x^2)theta'' + (2xx' +1)theta' + 9.8(xcostheta-sinthetha)-x''=T

Physics news on Phys.org
engnrshyckh said:
i am given an equation which i have to solve in simulink. the equation is quite veered to me. some one help me in understanding what kind of equation it is so that i can solve it in MATLAB simulink.
(2+x^2)theta'' + (2xx' +1)theta' + 9.8(xcostheta-sinthetha)-x''=T

I think this is your ODE:

##(2+x^2) ⋅ θ'' +(2x⋅x'+1) ⋅ θ' + 9.8 ⋅ (x\, cos(θ)-sin(θ)) - x''= T##

Is T a constant?
Are you given any initial conditions for x, x', θ, or θ' ?

Likes engnrshyckh
SteamKing said:
I think this is your ODE:

##(2+x^2) ⋅ θ'' +(2x⋅x'+1) ⋅ θ' + 9.8 ⋅ (x\, cos(θ)-sin(θ)) - x''= T##

Is T a constant?
Are you given any initial conditions for x, x', θ, or θ' ?
T=10 and initial condition are zero

engnrshyckh said:
T=10 and initial condition are zero

I take it the latter means that x = x' = θ = θ' = 0.

SteamKing said:
yes it is written in question that initial condition is zero

SteamKing said:
(2+x2)⋅θ′′+(2x⋅x′+1)⋅θ′+9.8⋅(xcos(θ)−sin(θ))−x′′=T this equation is look like to be some kind of pendulum. if we use Laplace transformation what would happen to x'' and x'.as they must be represent some angular velocity component.

engnrshyckh said:
(2+x2)⋅θ′′+(2x⋅x′+1)⋅θ′+9.8⋅(xcos(θ)−sin(θ))−x′′=T this equation is look like to be some kind of pendulum. if we use Laplace transformation what would happen to x'' and x'.as they must be represent some angular velocity component.
Since this ODE has mixed terms which are being differentiated and multiplied together, I'm not sure if you could use a LT that you would be able to obtain a closed-form solution.

Right now, the only solution I see is expressing this ODE as a system of first order ODEs and then using a Runge-Kutta numerical technique.

By the way, do x and θ depend on a third parameter, like time?

SteamKing said:
Since this ODE has mixed terms which are being differentiated and multiplied together, I'm not sure if you could use a LT that you would be able to obtain a closed-form solution.

Right now, the only solution I see is expressing this ODE as a system of first order ODEs and then using a Runge-Kutta numerical technique.

By the way, do x and θ depend on a third parameter, like time?

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    14.3 KB · Views: 413
here is the snapshot of original problem i have to plot it on simulink. i am confused what to do with x and x' . integrator block of simulink use Runge-Kutta numerical technique.

engnrshyckh said:
here is the snapshot of original problem i have to plot it on simulink. i am confused what to do with x and x' . integrator block of simulink use Runge-Kutta numerical technique.
It's not clear why you are confused.

x and x' have initial conditions just like θ and θ'. You use these initial conditions as a starting point for solving numerically the system of first-order ODEs you obtain after making appropriate substitutions for x" and θ".

Related to Second order differential equation

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of an unknown function. It is typically used to model physical phenomena in areas such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the difference between a first and second order differential equation?

The main difference between a first and second order differential equation is the highest order derivative that appears in the equation. A first order differential equation involves the first derivative of a function, while a second order differential equation involves the second derivative.

3. How do you solve a second order differential equation?

To solve a second order differential equation, you can use methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or the method of undetermined coefficients. It is important to note that the solution will depend on the initial conditions given for the equation.

4. What are the applications of second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model motion, electrical circuits, oscillations, population growth, and many other physical phenomena.

5. Can a second order differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a second order differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution of a second order differential equation contains two arbitrary constants, which means there are infinitely many solutions that can be obtained by choosing different values for these constants.