Seeking Recommendations for Books Similar to Kaku's Works?

• Thread starter Sylf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, The conversation covers a discussion of books on futuristic topics, specifically in the fields of physics, biochemistry, and computer science. The participants recommend various books, including The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene, The Meaning of Quantum Theory by Jim Baggot, Impossibility: The Limits of Science and the Science of Limits by John Barrow, and The Code Book by Simon Singh. They also mention One Two Three Infinity by George Gamow as a required reading for physics students.
Sylf
Im not sure if this is the right place to post this, if it isnt, feel free to move it to a more appropriate forum.

Anyway, I have read Visions, Hyperspace, and I just finished Beyond Einstein. I really enjoyed Visions, and although Hyperspace and Beyond Einstein become redundant when you read both, the topic is still very interesting to me. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any other similar books on similar subjects that wouldn't be redundant to me since I have read Hyperspace and Beyond Einstein. Or, if there are books like Visions that anybody knows about that take certain 'futuristic' topics into more detail, I would enjoy those as well. I know this is kinda a broad question, especially since Visions covered a vast amount of information (Biomolecular, Computer, and Quantum revolutions, etc.)

I was thinking about Hawkings' "Universe in a Nutshell" for now, but I wanted to see if any other Kaku fans had better recommendations. I tend to buy (but not read) books 4 or 5 at a time, so multiple recommendations are acceptable and appreciated.

Just in case it will help, I am a Biochemistry major and I enjoy and spend a lot of time with computers, so all three major topics in Visions interest me all the same. So books focusing on the Biomolecular revolution or Artificial Intelligence for examples work, too.

Thanks in advance

P.S.
I am aware of the rest of Kaku's books and textbooks, and also his follow-up to Hyperspace coming in December. I do intend to read these books (and I may even pre-order his publication coming in December if possible) at some point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Brian Greene has the famous The Elegant Universe, which partly overlaps Dr. Kaku's Hyperspace, but goes deeper into string theory. Many, including me, think this is the best physics popularization in many decades (at least since Gamow stopped writing), he also has a new one on quantum theory generally called The Fabric of the Cosmos; I have that one from the library but I haven't read it yet.

I'm sorry I don't know any good modern books on biochem; A good place to ask that would be on our Biology forum; there are experts in the field there. Likewise we have hardware and software fora where the specialized population of posters can give you help.

The Meaning of Quantum Theory

Well, I don't know but I just finished reading Jim Baggot's "The Meaning of Quantum Theory" which was a great read. It actually uses a 2-D state space and state vectors to investigate the sorts of stuff that QM is known for. Its certainly not redundant, since Baggott expects a certain level of maturity from his audience, and it is very interesting.

Kevin

I highly recommend Impossibility: The Limits of Science and the Science of Limits by John Barrow.

“http://www.stardrivedevice.com/” by Mark R. Tomion

Arctic Fox said:
“http://www.stardrivedevice.com/” by Mark R. Tomion

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha :cry: so funny it hurts...

homology said:
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha :cry: so funny it hurts...

Don’t even start...

Arctic Fox said:
Don’t even start...

Ooooh come on,.. :-p What do you expect when you post a site proclaiming that some guy has invented a lightspeed drive and that you too can buy details for twenty some odd bucks.

you want to be taken seriously then act so, otherwise, I'm going to laugh at your post Ha Ha Ha Ha

Kevin

I recommend 'The Code Book' by Simon Singh. It is not about physics, but it is excellently written and covers the evolution of cryptography and codebreaking all the way from Vigenere to Quantum computers. Its very fresh material, you will not be overlapped with common knowledge, assuming you are a novice in the world of encryption.

A Reply

Although old, and at my university required reading 'tamu', One Two Three Infinity - George Gamow. I am a physics major, and as such can say, mathematics is of paramount importance in giving a universal description of nature. I use the term universal to convey mathematics in a sense of an understandable medium, through which the scientifically minded sometimes communicate. The benefit of mathematics, lies in its complete disregard to language. This book delivers many descriptions of nature in this sense, ranging from higher dimensions to infinities.

Related to Seeking Recommendations for Books Similar to Kaku's Works?

1. What are some other books with a similar genre or theme?

I would recommend checking out "The Science of Sleep" by Matthew Walker or "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman.

2. Can you suggest some books related to a specific topic or subject?

Sure, for example, if you are interested in climate change, I would suggest "The Uninhabitable Earth" by David Wallace-Wells or "This Changes Everything" by Naomi Klein.

3. Are there any lesser-known books that you would recommend?

Absolutely, I would recommend "Lab Girl" by Hope Jahren or "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot. Both are thought-provoking and well-written.

4. What are some must-read books in your field of expertise?

Some must-read books in my field of expertise, which is biology, are "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins, "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin, and "The Gene: An Intimate History" by Siddhartha Mukherjee.

5. Can you recommend any books that have influenced your own research or work?

One book that has had a significant impact on my research is "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by Thomas Kuhn. It has helped me understand the process of scientific discovery and how new ideas emerge.