Seeks Solution to L-Shaped Land Division Puzzle

In summary, Andy's brother was trying to figure out how to divide a land shaped like an L into 4 congruent plots. He tried different methods, but eventually realized that the shape was essentially 3 units and that each parcel would be the same shape as the whole.
tiggerr129

Homework Statement

Here is the exact wording of my sons problem
When a certain land owner died this l shaped plot of land was left to be shared among four children the only stipulation of the will was that the land must be divided into four congruent plots. show how this can be done. The figure given was one that looked like a square with a quarter of it removed. so that it resembled an L. As a mom, I'd say it resembled three toy blocks with 2 of them stacked next to the third

Homework Equations

none that I know of

The Attempt at a Solution

He tried mostly trial and error and I googled as much as I could. This is extra credit and he has given up, but it is driving me crazy. He is in 8th grade and is taking AP algebra/physics. I know this is probably a brainteaser or puzzle and should be a cinch for you all, but if you can help, I'd be most grateful

Andy's Mom

Physics news on Phys.org
one strategy:
Find total area (divide L into two rectangles, and are of rectangle is ab one side x another side)

divide by 4

try to isolate this 1/4 area into rectangles (which have area formula = ab)

I had figured out, well actually I tried to explain to my son that the answer might have something to do with the area of the shape. I told him to make sure he drew his shape exactly four units by 4 units leaving out a 2by 2 unit piece. I figured working with those numbers would spare him dealing with fractions. All I got was this blank stare.

I had figured out that each brother would get 3 square units but somehow I fixated on triangle shaped pieces and then kept trying to divide the land in half and then in half again.

It suddenly dawned on me that the whole shape was essentially three units and that each parcel would be the same shape as the whole. It just took a little while to put the puzzle pieces together. It would have been easier it someone wouldn't have run off with my pencil.

Thanks for sending me off in the right direction.
I'll be able to sleep tonight with only songs from the school play running through my head.

Related to Seeks Solution to L-Shaped Land Division Puzzle

1. What is the "L-Shaped Land Division Puzzle"?

The "L-Shaped Land Division Puzzle" is a mathematical problem where a rectangular piece of land is divided into two equal parts using only a single straight line. The line must pass through the center of the rectangle and create two equal-sized areas with an "L" shape.

2. What is the significance of solving the "L-Shaped Land Division Puzzle"?

The "L-Shaped Land Division Puzzle" has practical applications in real estate and land development. It can also serve as a theoretical problem for mathematical research and education.

3. What approaches have been used to solve the "L-Shaped Land Division Puzzle"?

Several approaches have been used to solve the "L-Shaped Land Division Puzzle," including geometric methods, algebraic methods, and computational algorithms. Some solutions involve dividing the rectangle into smaller pieces, while others use mathematical equations to find the solution.

4. Is there a known formula or algorithm for solving the "L-Shaped Land Division Puzzle"?

As of now, there is no known formula or algorithm that guarantees a solution for the "L-Shaped Land Division Puzzle" in all cases. However, various methods have been developed that provide solutions for specific cases or approximations for general cases.

5. What are the potential challenges in finding a solution to the "L-Shaped Land Division Puzzle"?

The "L-Shaped Land Division Puzzle" is a challenging problem due to its many variables and constraints. It requires a combination of mathematical skills, creativity, and perseverance to find a solution. Additionally, the solution may not always be unique, making it difficult to determine the most optimal solution.