Selecting Modules for Physics Studies - Which Ones to Choose?

• Thread starter Maybe_Memorie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modules
In summary, the essential modules for a physics degree include introductory courses in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. When choosing modules, it is important to consider your interests and career goals, and consult with academic advisors or faculty members. There are also recommended elective modules in areas such as astrophysics, biophysics, and materials science. Some programs may allow you to take modules from other departments or schools, and taking advanced level modules can be beneficial for graduate studies, but it is important to balance workload.
Maybe_Memorie
I posted a similar thread a few months ago but the available modules has changed.

I'm interested in space time, black holes, general rel, field theory, quantum mechanics.

I can choose 6 from this

MA3413 Group representations I Lecturer: Prof. Vladimir Dotsenko
MA3421 Functional analysis I Lecturer: Prof. Dmitri Zaitsev
MA3425 Partial differential equations I Lecturer: Prof. John Stalker
MA3427 Algebraic topology I Lecturer: Prof. David Wilkins
MA3429 Differential geometry I [prerequisite: MA2322] Lecturer: Prof. Peter Taylor
MA3431 Classical field theory [prerequisite: MA2342] Lecturer: Prof. Tristan McLoughlin
MA3441 Quantum mechanics I [prerequisite: MA2342] Lecturer: Prof. Michael Fry
MA3443 Statistical physics I [prerequisite: MA2342] Lecturer: Prof. Sinéad Ryan
MA3463 Computation theory and logic I Lecturer: Prof. Colm Ó Dúnlaing
ST3453 Stochastic models in space and time I Lecturer: STATS
ST3455 Modern statistical methods I [prerequisite: ST2352] Lecturer: STATS
MA3481 Mathematical economics I Lecturer: Prof. Eleanor Denny (Economics)

and 6 from this

MA3422 Functional analysis II [prerequisite: MA3422] Lecturer: Prof. Richard Timoney
MA3426 Partial differential equations II [prerequisite: MA3425] Lecturer: Prof. John Stalker
MA3428 Algebraic topology II [prerequisite: MA3427] Lecturer: Prof. David Wilkins
MA3432 Classical electrodynamics [prerequisite: MA3431] Lecturer: Prof. Tristan McLoughlin
MA3442 Quantum mechanics II [prerequisite: MA3441] Lecturer: Prof. Michael Fry
MA3444 Statistical physics II [prerequisite: MA3443] Lecturer: Prof. Stefan Sint
MA346H Algorithmic Entropy Lecturer: Prof. Timothy Murphy
ST3454 Stochastic models in space and time II [prerequisite: ST2352] Lecturer: STATS
ST3456 Modern statistical methods II [prerequisite: ST2352] Lecturer: STATS
MA3482 Mathematical economics II [prerequisite: MA3481] Lecturer: ECON

So far I'm considering
PDE 1 + 2
Algebraic topology 1 + 2
Stat Phys 1 + 2
Classical Field theory 1 + 2
QM 1 + 2
Functional Analysis 1 + 2

I would prefer to swap analysis with group reps since I'm told groups are very important in physics and I only have taken an introductory course to groups. I'm also leaving out differential geometry till next year since it will be available next year followed straight by general rel. Next year I can choose 4 from each of http://www.maths.tcd.ie/undergraduate/Courses11-12/index.php?file=ssmaths

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

It is great to see your interest in these topics and your plan to choose modules that align with your interests. Based on your interests and the available modules, I would recommend the following combination:

1. MA3413 Group representations I
2. MA3427 Algebraic topology I
3. MA3431 Classical field theory
4. MA3441 Quantum mechanics I
5. MA3443 Statistical physics I
6. MA3463 Computation theory and logic I

These modules cover a good mix of topics such as group theory, topology, field theory, quantum mechanics, statistical physics, and computation theory. They also provide a good foundation for further studies in general relativity and differential geometry.

For the second set of modules, I would recommend:

1. MA3422 Functional analysis II
2. MA3426 Partial differential equations II
3. MA3428 Algebraic topology II
4. MA3432 Classical electrodynamics
5. MA3442 Quantum mechanics II
6. MA346H Algorithmic Entropy

These modules will build upon the concepts covered in the first set and provide a deeper understanding of functional analysis, PDEs, topology, electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, and algorithmic entropy.

Overall, this combination of modules will provide a strong foundation in the areas of space-time, black holes, general relativity, field theory, and quantum mechanics. I would also recommend taking the differential geometry and mathematical economics modules in your next year of studies, as they will complement your understanding of these topics even further.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best in your studies!

Related to Selecting Modules for Physics Studies - Which Ones to Choose?

1. What are the essential modules for a physics degree?

The essential modules for a physics degree typically include introductory courses in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. These provide a broad foundation in the fundamental principles of physics.

2. How do I choose which modules to take?

When selecting modules for physics studies, it is important to consider your interests and career goals. You may also want to consult with academic advisors or faculty members for recommendations based on your strengths and future plans.

3. Are there any recommended elective modules for a physics degree?

Many physics programs offer a variety of elective modules that allow you to tailor your studies to your interests. Depending on your career goals, you may want to consider taking electives in areas such as astrophysics, biophysics, or materials science.

4. Can I take modules from other departments or schools?

Some physics programs may allow you to take modules from other departments or schools, such as engineering or mathematics. This can provide a well-rounded education and may also be beneficial for your future career.

5. How important is it to take advanced level modules?

Taking advanced level modules can be beneficial for developing a deeper understanding of specific topics and preparing for graduate studies. However, it is also important to balance your workload and not take on too many advanced modules at once.