Set of polynomials is infinite dimensional

In summary: So the degree of a linear combination of polynomials is the highest degree of any of the polynomials in the combination.
Bipolarity
How does one show that the set of polynomials is infinite-dimensional? Does one begin by assuming that a finite basis for it exists, and then reaching a contradiction?

Could someone check the following proof for me, which I just wrote up ?

We prove that V, the set of all polynomials over a field F is infinite-dimensional. To do so, assume on the contrary that it is finite-dimensional, having dimension n. Then there exists a basis for V having n elements.
Since the following set is linearly independent and has n elements, it is also a basis for V:
[itex] β = \{ 1, x, x^{2}...x^{n-1} \} [/itex]

Thus every polynomial is expressible as a linear combination of the vectors in this set.
But then [itex]x^{n} \in span(β) [/itex] which implies that [itex] β \cup \{x^{n}\} [/itex] is linearly independent. This is clearly false, hence a contradiction. Thus the vector space of polynomials is infinite dimensional.

Is it completely correct?

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
That seems correct!

Thanks for the feedback micro. But apparently one small thing seems to be bothering me now.
I never actually proved that [itex] β = \{ 1, x, x^{2}...x^{n-1} \} [/itex] is linearly independent. How would I do that? Only way I can think of is using Wronskian, but is there perhaps a way to do it without calculus?

BiP

It depends on how you define polynomials. In a lot of situations, you define the polynomials such that the set you mention is linear independent. This is the algebraic approach.
The more familiar approach is to define polynomials as actual functions ##f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}##. If you do that, then using calculus really is the best and easiest approach. I suppose you can also show it directly: For example, for n=1: assume that

$$\alpha +\beta x + \gamma x^2 = 0$$

Substitute in some values for x, for example, by substituting 0, 1 and 2, we get

$$\left\{\begin{array}{l} \alpha = 0\\ \alpha +\beta +\gamma = 0\\ \alpha +2\beta + 4\gamma = 0 \end{array}\right.$$

This system of equations has unique solution ##\alpha = \beta = \gamma = 0## and thus we get linear independence. The situation for ##n>2## is a similar but a bit more hairy. A relevant result that will help you here ar Vandermonde determinants: http://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Vandermonde_Determinant

I am rather curious about your direct approach. How would I go about it for n>2? I have not much knowledge of Vandermonde matrices.

Would it involve some sort of induction?

BiP

There are many ways to do this. For simplicity let's assume any basis will only contain polynomial of different degrees. Prove a linear combination of polynomials has degree at most the highest degree of the combined polynomials.

Notice that if a linear combination of the elements is 0 , it is the zero polynomial, and not the number zero. But a (nonzero) polynomial can have only finitely-many zeros.

Related to Set of polynomials is infinite dimensional

1. What does it mean for a set of polynomials to be infinite dimensional?

When we say a set of polynomials is infinite dimensional, it means that there are infinitely many polynomials in the set and that the set does not have a finite basis. This means that the polynomials in the set cannot be expressed as a linear combination of a finite number of other polynomials.

2. How do you prove that a set of polynomials is infinite dimensional?

To prove that a set of polynomials is infinite dimensional, we can use the dimension theorem which states that if a set of vectors has more elements than the dimension of the vector space, then the set must be linearly dependent and therefore infinite dimensional. We can also use a proof by contradiction by assuming the set has a finite basis and showing that it leads to a contradiction.

3. Can a set of polynomials be both finite and infinite dimensional?

No, a set of polynomials cannot be both finite and infinite dimensional. If a set has a finite basis, it means that there are a finite number of polynomials in the set and it can be expressed as a linear combination of these polynomials. This contradicts the definition of infinite dimensionality.

4. What are some examples of infinite dimensional sets of polynomials?

Some examples of infinite dimensional sets of polynomials include the set of all polynomials with real coefficients, the set of all polynomials with complex coefficients, and the set of all polynomials with integer coefficients. These sets are infinite dimensional because they do not have a finite basis and there are infinitely many polynomials that can be constructed from these coefficients.

5. How is the concept of infinite dimensionality related to the concept of infinite series?

Infinite dimensionality and infinite series are related in that both deal with infinity. In the case of infinite dimensionality, it refers to the number of elements in a set of polynomials. In infinite series, it refers to the number of terms in a series. Both concepts involve the idea of infinity and can be used to prove or disprove certain mathematical statements.