Shear Modulus, Modulus of rigidity

In summary, the conversation revolved around an experiment to determine the modulus of rigidity for a bar made of an unknown material. The individual had difficulty analyzing the results and finding the material with the corresponding G value. They searched for a table with materials and their corresponding G values, but were unable to find one with a close enough match. Eventually, they found a credible table with values for shear modulus, with the closest materials being steel and nickel. However, the closest match was still slightly off from their calculated G value. They eventually settled on using stainless steel as the closest match.
gbenga
Hello lol first post . so I've done an experiment in determining the modulus of rigidity for a bar of an unknown material (torsion experiment). I have been asked to analyse the results, which I still have no idea what that means and find the material with the G value that i have. I've been searching Google and the only material material close enough to my value is about 6.5 GPa off and the tables are usually a small selection of common materials.
So is there any table available where i can find out the material used in the experiment and can someone explain what i need to do in the analysis since I've described the results in the data section with the table and graphs and calculations.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
gbenga said:
Hello lol first post . so I've done an experiment in determining the modulus of rigidity for a bar of an unknown material (torsion experiment). I have been asked to analyse the results, which I still have no idea what that means and find the material with the G value that i have. I've been searching Google and the only material material close enough to my value is about 6.5 GPa off and the tables are usually a small selection of common materials.
So is there any table available where i can find out the material used in the experiment and can someone explain what i need to do in the analysis since I've described the results in the data section with the table and graphs and calculations.

Thank you
What's the absolute value of G for your material?

Chet

86.7 GPa ...i do need the source, if you happen to find it. It'd be better if you could refer me so i can feel like i did the work lol

Are you sure that you calculated G correctly? Are you sure it's metal?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Are you sure that you calculated G correctly? Are you sure it's metal?

Chet
yes i calculated it correctly, with supervision from the lab supervisor. The bar used was indeed metal. the closest to the value I've found is inconel at 79-80 Gpa

could not edit my previous reply.
I found a table with some values of shear modulus and it looks like it is credible but the closest are two materials, steel and nickel. both 83.9 still some way off 86.7. the table is here: http://www.kayelaby.npl.co.uk/general_physics/2_2/2_2_2.html
I'm just looking to get to the closest i can (best advice i received from supervisor lol)

gbenga said:
could not edit my previous reply.
I found a table with some values of shear modulus and it looks like it is credible but the closest are two materials, steel and nickel. both 83.9 still some way off 86.7. the table is here: http://www.kayelaby.npl.co.uk/general_physics/2_2/2_2_2.html
I'm just looking to get to the closest i can (best advice i received from supervisor lol)
Stainless looks close enough.

Chet

Related to Shear Modulus, Modulus of rigidity

What is the shear modulus?

The shear modulus, also known as the modulus of rigidity, is a measure of a material's resistance to shearing forces. It is defined as the ratio of shear stress to shear strain.

How is the shear modulus calculated?

The shear modulus is calculated by dividing the shear stress by the shear strain. It is typically measured in units of Pascal (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

What factors can affect the shear modulus?

The shear modulus of a material can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material's structure.

What is the relationship between shear modulus and Young's modulus?

Shear modulus and Young's modulus are both measures of a material's elasticity. The shear modulus is a measure of a material's resistance to shearing forces, while Young's modulus is a measure of its resistance to tensile or compressive forces.

What are some real-life applications of shear modulus?

Shear modulus is an important property in the design and engineering of structures and materials. It is used in the construction of buildings, bridges, and other load-bearing structures, as well as in the development of new materials for various industries such as aerospace and automotive. It is also used in geotechnical engineering to analyze the stability of soil and rock formations.