Should I stay in MechE or change to Electrical?

In summary: I think you would be fine where you are, but if you change your mind in the future, you have options.In summary, the person is undecided whether to switch to electrical engineering or stay in mechanical engineering and take some electives. They are unsure if they want to specialize in robotics or embedded software after their undergraduate degree.
ramzerimar
Hey people. First of all, I'm now in the third semester of my course in Mechanical Engineering. I have interest in aerospace/aeronautics, so there are plenty of things in mechanical that I like - fluid mechanics, aerodynamics - and that was the reason I choose this undergrad. Nonetheless, I do like some stuff in electrical too - microprocessors, automation - and I like the greater emphasis given to programming in Electrical Engineering - I'm right now learning C++, and planning to learn Python.
I'm in doubt if I should change my undergrad to Electrical Engineering or try to reconcile both things. I've first planned to take some electives in subjects that I want to learn about: electrical circuits, digital systems, eletromagnetism, electronics... But I'm not sure if this would be a good move. For me, it would be great if I could major in some field where mechanics and electronics merge, like automation and control. I've read that control is a covered by both mechanical and electrical engineering. Looks like a field where it will be needed to have a solid understanding of mechanical and electrical principles.
So, should I switch to electrical or stay in mechanical, take some electives and major in some mechanical/electrical field later?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your school offer a mechatronics program? If not, you can pursue the electrical as electives or, if you really like the electrical, switch over. But you may also be confusing electrical with comp sci as programming is a separate discipline itself. Control theory can be covered by all three, it is just how it is covered / taught that is different. Comp Sci looks at algorithms, electrical (and mech) will look at block theory (with electrical looking at circuits vs mech looking at systems). All will cover different types of responses, but focus on the earlier coursework to build upon (hence how they approach teaching the subject).
Bottom line, you are probably fine where you are, but you can start taking electives in the curriculum you might transfer into. You probably have 1-2 semesters before you actually slip from graduating on time, if you are prepared to take a heavy course load to compensate for the extra classes (and harder electives) to keep yourself on track to graduate on time.

Likes ramzerimar
Yeah, my school offers a mechatronics program, but I don't feel very comfortable about switching to it. I prefer to undergraduate in mechanical or electrical so I have a broader scope and basis, and then seek specialization in a master's degree program.
I would like to cover basic subjects in electrical so I have a better basis when I start a major, and I like programming as well, so I've been studying it independently during summer.

UPDATE: I would like to ask one more thing: it's conceivable that, after my undergrad, I specialize in robotics and embedded software - or it's too far away from core mechanical engineering?

Likes mechpeac
My undergrad was mechanical and I did my PhD in biomechanics. You can definitely do robotics from a mechanical.

Related to Should I stay in MechE or change to Electrical?

1. Should I switch from MechE to Electrical?

It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. MechE focuses more on mechanical systems and designing physical products, while Electrical focuses on electronic and electrical systems. Consider what type of work you enjoy and which industry you want to work in before making a decision. Keep in mind that both fields have overlapping concepts, so it may be possible to switch between them in the future.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both MechE and Electrical have strong job prospects and are in high demand in various industries. It's important to research the job market in your area and see which field has more opportunities. Additionally, consider your skills and strengths and which field aligns more with them.

3. What are the main differences between MechE and Electrical?

MechE focuses on designing and creating physical products and systems, such as cars, planes, and machinery. Electrical, on the other hand, deals with electronic and electrical systems, such as power grids, computers, and communication devices. Both fields involve problem-solving and critical thinking, but the specific applications and concepts differ.

4. Can I switch between MechE and Electrical later on in my career?

Yes, it is possible to switch between the two fields later on in your career. Many concepts and skills overlap between MechE and Electrical, so it may not be a difficult transition. However, keep in mind that some companies may prefer candidates with a specific degree, so it may be helpful to gain experience or take courses in the field you want to switch to.

5. Which field has a higher salary potential?

Both MechE and Electrical have high earning potential, but it ultimately depends on your specific job role and industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for mechanical engineers was $88,430 in May 2020, while the median annual wage for electrical engineers was $101,250. However, salaries can vary greatly depending on experience, location, and company. It's important to research the specific job market and salary ranges for your desired field and location.