Should I take the qual if I plan to leave?

• Testing
  • Thread starter JAstrophys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plan
In summary, a second year physics PhD student in the USA is considering retaking the qualification exam after failing it last year. However, they have already decided to not continue with the PhD program after completing their Masters. They are eligible for the MS degree at the end of the upcoming spring semester, but the qual is being administered this month. The student is wondering if they should retake the exam or speak to their program advisor about their intention to leave after completing the MS. They are seeking advice on the matter.
JAstrophys
Hi all, I'm a second year physics PhD student (in the USA) and I'm about to retake the qualification exam (failed my first time last year). I've actually decided a few months ago that I do not wish to continue on with the PhD after I finish the Masters part of the program. I am eligible for the MS at the end of this coming spring semester, but the qual is being administered this month. My question is, do I retake the qual (even though admittedly I have not been preparing as I should have (probably because I know I will not carry on to PhD) ) or would it be best to avoid failing the qual a second time and just talk to the programs advisor and communicate my interest in leaving the program after completion of the MS?
Any insight is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Can you say what country you are in, in case it affects the replies? Thanks.

Likes JAstrophys