Showing scalars are unchanged by rotation

In summary, the conversation is about proving the invariance of certain scalar quantities under rotation. The individual discussing the topic is aware of the tensor transformation law and the substitution property, but is not satisfied with their current solution. They eventually figure out the proper solution, which shows that the scalar quantity p_{ii} is unchanged by rotation.
MathematicalPhysics
Hello, just hoping someone can give me a hand here.

I have a second-order tensor P, which has components [tex]p_{ij}[/tex] and I want to show that the following scalar quantities are unchanged by rotation:

[tex]p_{ii}[/tex]
[tex]p_{ij}p_{ji}[/tex]
[tex]p_{ij}p_{jk}p_{ki}[/tex]

Now, I know scalars are zero'th order tensors, I know I am going to have to use the tensor transformation law, I know I must keep in mind the orthogonality of the rotation matrix and I must use the substitution property.

This is what I've done but I am not happy that its valid as a solution to my problem.

The transformation law tells us that [tex]{p^'}_{ii} = \alpha_{ia} \alpha_{ib} p_{ab}[/tex]

If it is isotropic then l.h.s = [tex]p_{ii}[/tex] & r.h.s = [tex]\alpha_{ia} \alpha_{ia}[/tex] by the substitution property. This is equal to [tex]p_{ii}[/tex] by the orthogonality of the rotation matrix.

Im not happy with this, any help is much appreciated! Thanks, Matt.

p.s. this is only the first quantity!

Physics news on Phys.org
I worked out how to do it now, if anyone wants to know..

p'(ii) = alpha (ia) alpha (ib) p (ab)

p'(ii) = delta (ab) p (ab)

p'(ii) = p (aa)

which in this case can be rewritten to look like

p'(ii) = p(ii)

This implies p(ii) is invariant, or unchanged by rotation.

Hi Matt,

Your approach is correct so far. To show that a scalar is unchanged by rotation, we need to show that its components in the rotated coordinate system are equal to its components in the original coordinate system. Let's look at each of the three scalar quantities separately:

1. p_{ii}

Using the transformation law, we have:

{p^'}_{ii} = \alpha_{ia} \alpha_{ib} p_{ab}

Since the rotation matrix is orthogonal, we have:

\alpha_{ia} \alpha_{ib} = \delta_{ab}

Substituting this into the above equation, we get:

{p^'}_{ii} = \delta_{ab} p_{ab}

Since the Kronecker delta is equal to 1 when the indices are the same (i.e. a=b), and 0 when the indices are different, we can rewrite the above equation as:

{p^'}_{ii} = p_{ii}

Thus, the scalar p_{ii} is unchanged by rotation.

2. p_{ij}p_{ji}

{p^'}_{ij} {p^'}_{ji} = (\alpha_{ia} \alpha_{jb} p_{ab})(\alpha_{ja} \alpha_{ib} p_{ab})

Using the orthogonality of the rotation matrix, we can simplify this to:

{p^'}_{ij} {p^'}_{ji} = \delta_{ab} \delta_{ab} p_{ab} p_{ab}

Again, using the properties of the Kronecker delta, we can rewrite this as:

{p^'}_{ij} {p^'}_{ji} = p_{ab} p_{ab}

Thus, the scalar p_{ij}p_{ji} is also unchanged by rotation.

3. p_{ij}p_{jk}p_{ki}

{p^'}_{ij} {p^'}_{jk} {p^'}_{ki} = (\alpha_{ia} \alpha_{jb} p_{ab})(\alpha_{jb} \alpha_{kc} p_{bc})(\alpha_{ka} \alpha_{ic} p_{ac})

Using the orthogonality of the rotation matrix, we can simplify this to:

{p^'}_{ij} {p^'}_{jk

Related to Showing scalars are unchanged by rotation

What is the definition of a scalar?

A scalar is a physical quantity that is completely described by its magnitude, or size, and is independent of direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and speed.

How are scalars and vectors different?

Unlike scalars, vectors have both magnitude and direction. Vectors can be represented graphically as arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the vector.

Why are scalars unchanged by rotation?

Scalars are unchanged by rotation because they do not have a direction component. When an object is rotated, its position and orientation change, but its size, mass, and temperature remain the same, making them scalars.

Can you provide an example of a scalar quantity?

Yes, an example of a scalar quantity is temperature. The temperature of an object does not change when it is rotated, as it is not affected by its orientation.

How is the concept of scalar invariance useful in physics?

Scalar invariance is an important concept in physics as it helps simplify calculations and makes it easier to analyze physical phenomena. By knowing that certain quantities, such as mass and temperature, are scalars and are unchanged by rotation, scientists can focus on other variables that may be affected by rotation, such as velocity and force.