Signs of work done and delta K.E.

In summary: W = |\vec F| \, |\vec s| \, \sin \theta = $$Again, the answers are negative regardless of the coordinate system.
Ebby
Homework Statement
Find the work done by the braking force and the change in kinetic energy of the car.
Relevant Equations
F = m . a
s = v_final^2 - v_initial^2 / 2 . a
W = F . s
delta K.E. = K.E._final - K.E._initial
I'm asking about this with particular reference to the signs of the answers. Here is the question:

cap1.JPG

cap2.JPG

The answers in the back of the book are:

(a) ##1.2 \times 10^4 \text{ N}##
(b) ##39 \text{ m}##
(c) ##4.7 \times 10^5 \text{ J}##
(d) ##4.7 \times 10^5 \text{ J}##

Here's a rough sketch of the situation. I suppose it's not really necessary, but I feel the vectors do emphasise the idea of direction and sign.
pic.jpg

I'll now go through each part, with particular attention to the signs of the answers. I have some disagreements with the book, especially regarding parts (c) and (d).

(a) The acceleration ##\vec a## is the negative ##x## direction, so the component ##F_x## must also be negative:$$F_x = m \cdot a_x = 1500 \cdot -8 = -1.2 \times 10^4 \text { N}$$The book has this answer as being positive. I guess what they're really asking for is the magnitude of the force. OK, accepted.

(b) No problems here. ##|\vec s|## and ##s_x## happen to be the same.$$s_x = \frac {{v_x}_f^2 - {v_x}_i^2} {2 \cdot a_x} = \frac {0 - \left( \frac {90} {3.6} \right)^2} {2 \cdot -8} = \frac {-625} {-16} = 39 \text { m}$$

Oops I accidentally pressed post thread. This isn't finished quite yet. How do I delete it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ebby said:
Homework Statement: Find the work done by the braking force and the change in kinetic energy of the car.
Relevant Equations: F = m . a
s = v_final^2 - v_initial^2 / 2 . a
W = F . s
delta K.E. = K.E._final - K.E._initial

I'm asking about this with particular reference to the signs of the answers. Here is the question:

View attachment 328218
View attachment 328219

The answers in the back of the book are:

(a) ##1.2 \times 10^4 \text{ N}##
(b) ##39 \text{ m}##
(c) ##4.7 \times 10^5 \text{ J}##
(d) ##4.7 \times 10^5 \text{ J}##

Here's a rough sketch of the situation. I suppose it's not really necessary, but I feel the vectors do emphasise the idea of direction and sign.
View attachment 328283

I'll now go through each part, with particular attention to the signs of the answers. I have some disagreements with the book, especially regarding parts (c) and (d).

(a) The acceleration ##\vec a## is the negative ##x## direction, so the component ##F_x## must also be negative:$$F_x = m \cdot a_x = 1500 \cdot -8 = -1.2 \times 10^4 \text { N}$$The book has this answer as being positive. I guess what they're really asking for is the magnitude of the force. OK, accepted.
That's what braking force means. The sign is only relevant once you have chosen a coordinate system. You could have the car moving in the negative ##x## direction (or any other direction).
Ebby said:
(b) No problems here. ##|\vec s|## and ##s_x## happen to be the same.$$s_x = \frac {{v_x}_f^2 - {v_x}_i^2} {2 \cdot a_x} = \frac {0 - \left( \frac {90} {3.6} \right)^2} {2 \cdot -8} = \frac {-625} {-16} = 39 \text { m}$$

(c) $$W = |\vec F| \, |\vec s| \, \cos \theta = $$
If you were going to say that the answers to parts c) and d) should be negative, then I agree with you. These are negative values regardless of the coordinate system.

Likes MatinSAR
Yes that's exactly what I was going to say! Thanks :)