Silly Question about systems of equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of two curves, represented by equations y=x and y=x^2+1, never meeting despite having infinite range. The speaker asks if there is a way to determine if the curves never intersect, and the responder explains that while there is no general method for this, finding points with opposite signs can guarantee at least one zero between those points. They also mention that the function must be continuous for this to hold true.
Saladsamurai
I had a thought while doing some calculus last night and it now concerns me that for some reason I cannot answer it. If given the equations [tex]y=x[/tex] and [tex]y=x^2+1[/tex] it would appear that since the range of the latter "reaches" infinity "first" that these two curves never meet. Now that thought did not occur to me until I sketched them after I tried solving them as a system of equations.

Is there some way (not intuitively, but abstractly) to see that these two curves never intersect?

Thanks,
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
These two equations specifically, sure. x2+1=x obviously has no solutions in the reals.

Any system of equations, obviously not. There is no general solution for finding the zeros of a quintic, let alone any arbitrary function.

I am not interested in finding any zeros; I am interested in knowing if there is a way to determine that there are not any zeros.

Casey

Look at f(x)= x2+1- x. f'(x)= 2x- 1 which is positive for x> 1/2 so it is always increasing. When x= 1/2, that has a value of 1/4+ 1- 1/2= 3/4. As long as there is no zero between 0 and 1/2, the function cannot have a zero and so the equation
x2+ 1= x cannot have a solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no general method to determine whether some function [itex]f(x)[/itex] has any zeroes. Suppose you evaluate the function at two points, [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex]. If the function value is positive at both points (or negative at both points), there might well be no points or two points or four points (or ...) between [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] where the function is zero. (Note: In saying this I am counting double zeros such as x2=0 as two zeros). You don't know which is the case and there is no general way of knowing.

Suppose you get lucky and find that [itex]f(x_1)[/itex] and [itex]f(x_2)[/itex] have opposite signs. You still don't know that the function passes through zero between [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex]. Consider [itex]f(x)=1/x[/itex] for example. [itex]f(-2)=-1/2[/itex] and [itex]f(1)=1[/itex], but the function does not pass through zero between -2 and 1. In the special case tht [itex]f(x)[/tex] is continuous and exists everywhere between [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] then finding points with opposite signs does guarantee that the function is zero at at least one point between [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex].

D H said:
There is no general method to determine whether some function [itex]f(x)[/itex] has any zeroes. Suppose you evaluate the function at two points, [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex]. If the function value is positive at both points (or negative at both points), there might well be no points or two points or four points (or ...) between [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] where the function is zero. (Note: In saying this I am counting double zeros such as x2=0 as two zeros). You don't know which is the case and there is no general way of knowing.

Suppose you get lucky and find that [itex]f(x_1)[/itex] and [itex]f(x_2)[/itex] have opposite signs. You still don't know that the function passes through zero between [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex]. Consider [itex]f(x)=1/x[/itex] for example. [itex]f(-2)=-1/2[/itex] and [itex]f(1)=1[/itex], but the function does not pass through zero between -2 and 1. In the special case tht [itex]f(x)[/tex] is continuous and exists everywhere between [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] then finding points with opposite signs does guarantee that the function is zero at at least one point between [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex].

Gotcha. Thanks for explaining D H.

Casey

Related to Silly Question about systems of equations

What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that contain the same variables. The solution to the system is the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations simultaneously.

How do you solve a system of equations?

The most common method for solving a system of equations is by using substitution or elimination. In substitution, you solve for one variable in one equation and substitute it into the other equations. In elimination, you manipulate the equations to eliminate one variable and then solve for the remaining variables.

Can a system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of equations can have one, zero, or infinitely many solutions. This depends on the number of equations and variables in the system. A system with the same number of equations and variables usually has one unique solution.

Can a system of equations have no solution?

Yes, a system of equations can have no solution if the equations are inconsistent, meaning they have no common solution. This can happen when the equations represent parallel lines or when the equations are contradictory, such as x=2 and x=5.

What real-world applications use systems of equations?

Systems of equations are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Some examples include finding the intersection point of two moving objects, analyzing supply and demand in the market, and studying predator-prey relationships in ecology.