Simple Op Amp design for free fall

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a simple Op Amp circuit to find the position of a falling body as a function of time. The equation used is y=y_0+1/2gt^2, with an assumed initial position of y_0 = 0 at t=0. One attempt at a solution involved using an integrator Op Amp with a triangle wave input and carefully chosen resistor and capacitor values. However, this solution only worked for some times. To get a valid solution for all times, a non-linear element such as a diode or transistor junction is needed in the circuit, along with a reset button.
CalcYouLater

Homework Statement

Design a simple Op Amp circuit to find the position as a function of time of a falling body

Homework Equations

y=y_0+1/2gt^2

Assume y_0 = 0 at t=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I used an integrator Op Amp with a triangle wave input. I chose the values of the resistor and capacitor so that their product = 2.

This answer only seems to work part of the time. How can I design a simple circuit that is valid for all times?

Physics news on Phys.org
CalcYouLater said:

Homework Statement

Design a simple Op Amp circuit to find the position as a function of time of a falling body

Homework Equations

y=y_0+1/2gt^2

Assume y_0 = 0 at t=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I used an integrator Op Amp with a triangle wave input. I chose the values of the resistor and capacitor so that their product = 2.

This answer only seems to work part of the time. How can I design a simple circuit that is valid for all times?

To get the t^2 term, you need a non-linear element in the opamp circuit (diode or transistor junction). You can look up "opamp multiplier" or "opamp log converter" to get you farther. You will also need a reset button...

Related to Simple Op Amp design for free fall

1. What is an Op Amp?

An Operational Amplifier (Op Amp) is an electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input signals and outputs the result.

2. How does an Op Amp work?

An Op Amp works by using a high-gain differential amplifier to amplify the voltage difference between its two input terminals. The output voltage is then fed back to the inverting input, creating a closed-loop system that stabilizes the output voltage.

3. What is the purpose of a simple Op Amp design for free fall?

The purpose of a simple Op Amp design for free fall is to accurately measure the acceleration of objects in free fall. This can be useful in experiments or engineering projects that involve motion or gravity.

4. What are the key components of a simple Op Amp design for free fall?

The key components of a simple Op Amp design for free fall include an Op Amp, a power supply, a feedback resistor, and a capacitor. These components work together to measure and amplify the voltage changes caused by free fall acceleration.

5. How can I design a simple Op Amp circuit for free fall?

To design a simple Op Amp circuit for free fall, you will need to determine the desired sensitivity and range of your measurements, select an appropriate Op Amp and other components, and then calculate the necessary resistor and capacitor values using the appropriate equations. It is also important to consider noise reduction techniques and proper circuit layout to ensure accurate results.