Simplifying Trig Expressions: Cos(6θ)

In summary, to simplify the expression Cos(6θ), we must use basic trigonometric identities such as sin(a+b)=sin(a)cos(b)+cos(a)sin(b) and cos(a+b)=cos(a)cos(b)-sin(a)sin(b). Using these identities, we can rewrite cos(6θ) as cos(2θ+2θ+2θ), and then use the identity cos(2a)=cos^2(a)-sin^2(a) to simplify it further. The problem does not specify whether we should simplify in terms of sines and cosines, or just cosines or sines, so we could take either approach.
ZincPony

Homework Statement

Simplify the expression Cos(6θ)
Simplify means - the angle for all trigonometric functions in your answer is to be only θ.
Simplify in terms of sines and cosines
Simplify in terms of cosines only
Simplify in terms of sines only

Homework Equations

Basic Trig Identities (attachment)

The Attempt at a Solution

Im kind of lost to tell you the truth...
Maybe I am over thinking the difficulty of the problem and its a lot simpler then what I am making it out to be.

?? cos(2θ+2θ+2θ) ??

Just help me get started on this problem.
Guide me through the first couple of steps

Attachments

• Trigonometric_Identities_Sheet.pdf
    26.3 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do equations have to be given? It seems to me that whoever gave you this problem expects you to know some basic trig identities yourself.

I would think that things like
sin(a+ b)= sin(a)cos(b)+ cos(a)sin(b)
cos(a+ b)= cos(a)cos(b)- sin(a)sin(b)
sin(2a)= 2sin(a)cos(a)
cos(2a)= cos^2(a)- sin^2(a)
would be very relevant!

For example, what do they give for
sin(3a)= sin(2a+ a)?

well the problem itself was did not come with identities.
what the textbook contains in terms of what we have covered in class i guess are the equations.

Added attachment

Related to Simplifying Trig Expressions: Cos(6θ)

1. What is the definition of a trigonometric expression?

A trigonometric expression is a mathematical statement that contains trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, and their inverse functions, as well as variables and constants. These expressions are used to represent relationships between angles and sides in a triangle.

2. Why is it important to simplify trigonometric expressions?

Simplifying trigonometric expressions is important because it allows us to manipulate and solve equations more easily. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships between different trigonometric functions, making it easier to understand and apply them in various mathematical problems.

3. How do you simplify a trigonometric expression?

To simplify a trigonometric expression, you can use basic trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identities or the double angle identities, to rewrite the expression in a simpler form. You can also use algebraic techniques, such as factoring and canceling common terms, to simplify the expression.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when simplifying trigonometric expressions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying trigonometric expressions include forgetting to apply the correct trigonometric identity, making algebraic errors, and not simplifying fully. It's important to check your work and make sure the final expression is in its simplest form.

5. How can simplifying trigonometric expressions be applied in real-world situations?

Simplifying trigonometric expressions has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and navigation. For example, it can be used to calculate the height of a building or the distance between two points using angles and trigonometric functions. It is also used in creating mathematical models for various phenomena, such as sound waves and ocean tides.