Simulating Metal Plate Heat Variation with Matlab

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of simulating temperature variation in a metal plate using Matlab. The speaker, who is a computer science student, is struggling with where to start and mentions the use of partial differential equations and the energy balance law. They also mention being confused by concepts such as conduction and Fourier's law. The other person suggests using finite difference methods and the Crank-Nicholson algorithm, but the speaker clarifies that they need help setting up the mathematical model for the temperature variation, which involves differential and algebraic equations and initial values. They express being stuck and unsure of which equation to use.
joanna03
I have to simulate in Matlab the variation of temperature in a metal plate/block, heated at just one end. One suggestion I received is that I have to use partial differential equations and the energy balance law but I don't know how to start. I study computer science, so physics is a bit off to me. I've read about conduction and Fourier's law, but it just confused me even more. I just need a start on how is this variation on temperature determined in physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are more interested in computer programming than physics, find out about finite difference methods and the Crank-Nicholson algorithm. That is a standard way to model heat flow. (It's not the only way, and not necessarily the most efficient way, but it works!)

Thanks for the suggestions, but that's not quite what I need. I need to set up the mathematical model for the variation on temperature in the metal plate, and the basis for this is provided by a differential equation (probably from the energy balance law), and various algebraic equations, plus some simplyifing hypothesis and initial integration values (like initial temperature of the block).
I'm just stuck as I'm not sure what equation to use.

Related to Simulating Metal Plate Heat Variation with Matlab

1. How do I simulate metal plate heat variation with Matlab?

To simulate metal plate heat variation with Matlab, you will first need to create a 2D model of the metal plate using the built-in functions in Matlab. Then, you can use the finite difference method to solve the heat equation for the metal plate. Finally, you can plot the temperature distribution over time using the surf or contour plot functions in Matlab.

2. What is the finite difference method?

The finite difference method is a numerical technique used to approximate solutions to differential equations. In the context of simulating metal plate heat variation, it involves discretizing the plate into smaller sections and approximating the heat transfer between each section using a finite difference equation. This method is commonly used in heat transfer simulations.

3. Can I incorporate different materials in my simulation?

Yes, you can incorporate different materials in your simulation by assigning different thermal properties to each section of the metal plate. Matlab has built-in functions for determining the thermal conductivity, specific heat, and density of various materials, which can be used in your simulation.

4. How can I validate the accuracy of my simulation?

There are a few ways to validate the accuracy of your simulation. One method is to compare your results to analytical solutions for simple geometries and boundary conditions. Another method is to compare your results to experimental data for a similar system. Additionally, you can vary the mesh size and time step in your simulation to ensure that your results are not heavily dependent on these parameters.

5. Can I simulate transient heat transfer in the metal plate?

Yes, you can simulate transient heat transfer in the metal plate by solving the heat equation over a series of time steps. This will allow you to observe how the temperature distribution in the plate changes over time. However, it is important to note that transient simulations may take longer to run and require a more refined mesh to accurately capture the heat transfer process.