Simulations and Experimental Physics

In summary: That sounds awesome. How did you end up getting choosing...I ended up getting a degree in nuclear physics because I wanted to work in low energy nuclear physics. Hopefully my experience in simulation will be useful in the future.I ended up getting a degree in nuclear physics because I wanted to work in low energy nuclear physics. Hopefully my experience in simulation will be useful in the future.
pierce15
I'm an undergrad trying to figure out what career I want to pursue. I consider myself very good at math and physics and enjoy them, however I know that I definitely do not want to go into purely theoretical physics.

I have been thinking about what I want to do for a while now and it occurred to me that simulations of high level math/physics may be a good fit. However, I still enjoy building/tinkering with stuff. Hence I am wondering if anyone knows of careers that involve both doing simulations and designing stuff.

My initial thoughts were particle accelerators and fission reactors. However I am not sure of the extent to which the simulations folks in these fields actually get to help design stuff (i.e. do they get stuck doing nothing except programming?). Does anyone have any insight?

Also if anyone simulations people from different fields are here feel free to comment.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am in a similar position as you, but I think I can offer some insight regardless. Experimental atomic physics and condensed matter use both design and simulation a fair bit. In my experience, its been heavier on the design side, but there is still simulation that has to happen. Whenever you have any novel experimental data, odds are you'll need a simulation to try and reproduce or refute that data according to theoretical predictions. Also, the design process frequently involves use of simulations. For example, when designing any circuitry for an experiment, you'll probably wind up using SPICE if not coding your own simulations. Hope that helps!

Twigg said:
I am in a similar position as you, but I think I can offer some insight regardless. Experimental atomic physics and condensed matter use both design and simulation a fair bit. In my experience, its been heavier on the design side, but there is still simulation that has to happen. Whenever you have any novel experimental data, odds are you'll need a simulation to try and reproduce or refute that data according to theoretical predictions. Also, the design process frequently involves use of simulations. For example, when designing any circuitry for an experiment, you'll probably wind up using SPICE if not coding your own simulations. Hope that helps!

I should mention I worked in an AMO lab this year and really didn't like optics. Condensed matter is an interesting idea... I'll have to look into it more.

pierce15 said:
I'm an undergrad trying to figure out what career I want to pursue. I consider myself very good at math and physics and enjoy them, however I know that I definitely do not want to go into purely theoretical physics.

I have been thinking about what I want to do for a while now and it occurred to me that simulations of high level math/physics may be a good fit. However, I still enjoy building/tinkering with stuff. Hence I am wondering if anyone knows of careers that involve both doing simulations and designing stuff.

My initial thoughts were particle accelerators and fission reactors. However I am not sure of the extent to which the simulations folks in these fields actually get to help design stuff (i.e. do they get stuck doing nothing except programming?). Does anyone have any insight?

Also if anyone simulations people from different fields are here feel free to comment.

That's pretty much what I do! I'm an experimental nuclear physicist. I design detectors, I do experiments with said detectors, analyse the data, and to get to the underlying physics, and understand the implications, I do simulations.

I don't think I'm particularly unique in this, I think a lot of experimental physicists will also be involved in doing simulations, certainly in my field.

e.bar.goum said:
That's pretty much what I do! I'm an experimental nuclear physicist. I design detectors, I do experiments with said detectors, analyse the data, and to get to the underlying physics, and understand the implications, I do simulations.

I don't think I'm particularly unique in this, I think a lot of experimental physicists will also be involved in doing simulations, certainly in my field.

Funny, I am going to try working in low energy nuclear physics next fall. Do you do simulations primarily of detector physics?

pierce15 said:
Funny, I am going to try working in low energy nuclear physics next fall. Do you do simulations primarily of detector physics?
No, although I have done a very small amount of that. Most of my simulation work is simulations of nuclear collisions to aid interpretation of our experimental results. This does involve folding detector effects into the simulations, though.

Likes pierce15
e.bar.goum said:
No, although I have done a very small amount of that. Most of my simulation work is simulations of nuclear collisions to aid interpretation of our experimental results. This does involve folding detector effects into the simulations, though.

That sounds awesome. How did you end up getting choosing nuclear?

pierce15 said:
That sounds awesome. How did you end up getting choosing nuclear?
It's pretty fun - I think nuclear physics represents a good balance of big infrastructure physics (big machines are fun) and being able to be very hands on with all parts of an experiment* (which you don't get in the very large collaborations you get in very big infrastructure physics projects).

I ended up choosing nuclear mostly by accident - my undergrad university has a strong undergraduate research program, and I ended up doing a project in nuclear for a semester. I found that the problems and the group culture suited me, so I stayed with it. Undergraduate research is a really good way to "try on" physics research -- projects that didn't suit me (observational cosmology, planetary geology, laser physics ... ) taught me plenty about my preferences.

Do you know what you're doing in low energy nuclear physics in the fall?

*To a greater or lesser extent depending on the lab

pierce15 said:
However, I still enjoy building/tinkering with stuff. Hence I am wondering if anyone knows of careers that involve both doing simulations and designing stuff.

I am working as a self-employed consulting engineer, designing heat pump systems with uncommon heat sources (= engineering, electronics, measurement technology, control, IT, data analysis...) and doing simulations based on software I've developed myself. My PhD was in applied physics - superconductors / laser physics - but I also did theoretical modelling of pulsed laser deposition back then in addition to experiments.

e.bar.goum said:
Do you know what you're doing in low energy nuclear physics in the fall?

The group I will be working with does selective trapping of radioactive ions to study the electroweak interaction... I don't understand the specific models they are testing, but I will be studying nuclear physics this summer. This most likely involves some simulations. I know they are also working on improving their machine for getting better ion yields, etc.

elkement said:
I am working as a self-employed consulting engineer, designing heat pump systems with uncommon heat sources (= engineering, electronics, measurement technology, control, IT, data analysis...) and doing simulations based on software I've developed myself. My PhD was in applied physics - superconductors / laser physics - but I also did theoretical modelling of pulsed laser deposition back then in addition to experiments.

This sounds interesting. Do you ever regret not going into research? Not to imply that research is a superior job in any way, but I know it gives people more freedom to do specifically what they want.

pierce15 said:
This sounds interesting. Do you ever regret not going into research? Not to imply that research is a superior job in any way, but I know it gives people more freedom to do specifically what they want.

I am doing research today - and I am enjoying it. We have simulated, developed and prototyped our heat pump system for some years, before we started building it with / for clients. I am particularly happy that we have been able to fund that by ourselves, based on other business.
Freedom has always one of the main drivers for each of the career decisions I took. (I did not go directly from laser physics to heat pumps ... long story).

Likes Nidum
pierce15 said:

I am in computational electronics. I'm just a EE grad student but from what I have seen a lot of the device design is done by theorists/computationalists.

Indeed, if you want to play with fancy, froofy physics and do engineering, it's a good time to enter this field. There are numerous engineers who are working on fundamental theory for topological materials, device design, and device simulation (Supriyo Datta and Matthew Gilbert come to mind)

Crass_Oscillator said:
I am in computational electronics. I'm just a EE grad student but from what I have seen a lot of the device design is done by theorists/computationalists.

Indeed, if you want to play with fancy, froofy physics and do engineering, it's a good time to enter this field. There are numerous engineers who are working on fundamental theory for topological materials, device design, and device simulation (Supriyo Datta and Matthew Gilbert come to mind)

Thanks for the reply. By device design and simulation do you mean analog circuits?

pierce15 said:
Thanks for the reply. By device design and simulation do you mean analog circuits?
No, I mean the solid state devices (e.g. a FinFET)

Maybe you also want to consider looking into jobs for cutting edge technology companies?
I've read an article about the future of simulation in the cloud with new startups that tackle these approaches. I think a lot of development can still be done in the field of simulation for engineering applications, especially for new companies like SimScale. They're hiring heavily atm and I'm also looking into them. Pretty disruptive stuff they do and I believe they could need people that are good with math and physics ;)
I'd consider myself more on the management side for them though!

Andreas Hepp said:
Maybe you also want to consider looking into jobs for cutting edge technology companies?
I've read an article about the future of simulation in the cloud with new startups that tackle these approaches. I think a lot of development can still be done in the field of simulation for engineering applications, especially for new companies like SimScale. They're hiring heavily atm and I'm also looking into them. Pretty disruptive stuff they do and I believe they could need people that are good with math and physics ;)
I'd consider myself more on the management side for them though!

Sorry for delay, last few days have been crazy. This company looks cool. I think I would enjoy working in an industry like this but I would be worried about regretting not going into physics after spending so many years studying it... anyone here ever feel that way?

Related to Simulations and Experimental Physics

1. What is the purpose of simulations in experimental physics?

Simulations in experimental physics are used to model and predict the behavior of physical systems. They allow scientists to test different scenarios and parameters that may not be feasible or ethical to test in real experiments. Simulations also help in understanding complex phenomena and making predictions that can be validated through experimental data.

2. How are simulations different from experimental physics?

Simulations and experimental physics are different in their approach and purpose. Experimental physics involves conducting physical experiments to gather data and observations about a particular phenomenon. Simulations, on the other hand, use computer algorithms to model and predict the behavior of physical systems based on mathematical equations and assumptions. While experimental physics provides real-world data, simulations allow for virtual experimentation and exploration of different scenarios and parameters.

3. What are the limitations of simulations in experimental physics?

One of the main limitations of simulations in experimental physics is that they are only as accurate as the assumptions and models used. If the assumptions do not accurately represent the real-world system, the simulation results may not be reliable. Additionally, simulations cannot account for all factors and variables that may affect a physical system, making it challenging to replicate the complexity of real experiments.

4. How do scientists validate the results of simulations in experimental physics?

Scientists use a variety of methods to validate the results of simulations in experimental physics. One way is to compare the simulation results with experimental data and observations. If the simulation results closely match the experimental data, it can provide confidence in the accuracy of the simulation. Another way is to conduct multiple simulations with different assumptions and parameters to see if the results are consistent and robust.

5. Can simulations replace experimental physics?

No, simulations cannot completely replace experimental physics. While simulations offer a valuable tool for understanding and predicting physical phenomena, they cannot replicate the complexity and nuances of real-world experiments. Experimental physics provides crucial data and observations that simulations cannot replicate. Therefore, a combination of both approaches is necessary for a comprehensive understanding of physical systems.