Sine and cosine functions Zeros

In summary, to find the zeros of a sine function in the form y = asin(k(x-d))+c, where k is the stretch factor, d is the horizontal shift, and c is the vertical shift, you can set the function equal to 0 and solve for x using the formula sin(x-d) = -c/a, where a is the amplitude. You can also use the formula bx + c = θ + 2npi, where θ is the angle in quadrant 1 or 4 and n is an integer, to find additional solutions. It is important to note that radians and degrees are interchangeable and it is beneficial to be familiar with both when working with trigonometric functions.
supernova1203
How Do i find the zeros for this particular sine function?

y=asin(k(x-d))+c

when we are given a K value i know how to find the zero but when we are not, i don't know how to find the zero(Atleast after everything has been horizontally, and vertically shifted and streched)

y=2sin(x-30 degrees) +1

I have graphed all the points i just don't know how to find the zero here, if i were given

y=2sin3(x+45 degrees) + 2 I would know how to find the zero (I would just come up with my own little equation ) 2sin(3 x what value = 0) but for y=2sin(x-30 degrees) + 1 i just don't know how to find the zeros(the final zeros after everything is where it should be, shifted/streched/transformed etc)

Physics news on Phys.org
hi supernova1203! :smile:

(have a degree: ° :wink:)
supernova1203 said:
y=2sin(x-30 degrees) +1

I have graphed all the points i just don't know how to find the zero here …

the zeros will be at 2sin(x-30°) +1 = 0,

so the first thing to do is to rewrite it as:

sin(x-30°) = -1/2​

you know that sin(-30°) = -1/2, so obviously one solution will be x-30° = -30°,

and then you can list all the other solutions: x-30° = … ? :smile:

Say you have y = a*sin(bx + c) + d. To find its zeros you set it equal to 0:

a*sin(bx + c) + d = 0

sin(bx + c) = -d/a.

Now, of course, it the right side is not in the interval [-1,1] there will be no solution. If it is in that interval, then there will be a value for bx + c between -pi/2 and pi/2. Let's call that value θ0. So you have bx + c = θ0, but also any angle coterminal with θ0 will work, so you can have:

(*) bx + c = θ0 + 2npi

If -d/a is +1 or -1, these values of are all that will work and you can solve for x and you are done.

But usually -d/a is in (-1,1), θ0 is in quadrant 1 or 4, and there is another quadrant where bx+c can be.

For example, if θ0 is in quadrant 1, then any angle coterminal with pi - θ0 will work:

θ = pi - θ0 + 2npi = (2n + 1)pi - θ0

If θ0 is in quadrant 4, then any angle coterminal with pi - θ0 will work:

θ = pi - θ0 +2npi = (2n+1)pi - θ0

As luck would have it, these are the same formula so you can just set

bx + c = (2n+1)pi - θ0

and solve for x.

why oh why do they not teach us in radians and with pies?! They use degrees and everywhere I am looking online to find help they use radians and pies...I think they teach us intentionally with degree only so as to handicap us so we can rely solely on the teachers and not get help anywhere else @_@

Related to Sine and cosine functions Zeros

1. What are the zeros of sine and cosine functions?

The zeros of sine and cosine functions are the values of x where the function crosses the x-axis, or has a y-value of 0. In other words, the zeros are the solutions to the equations sin(x) = 0 and cos(x) = 0.

2. How do you find the zeros of a sine or cosine function?

To find the zeros of a sine or cosine function, you can set the function equal to 0 and solve for x using algebraic techniques such as factoring or the quadratic formula. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator to visually determine the x-values where the function crosses the x-axis.

3. What is the relationship between the zeros of sine and cosine functions?

The zeros of sine and cosine functions are related by a phase shift of π/2 radians, or 90 degrees. This means that the zeros of the sine function correspond to the maximum and minimum points of the cosine function, and vice versa.

4. Do sine and cosine functions always have the same number of zeros?

Yes, sine and cosine functions always have the same number of zeros. This is because the sine and cosine functions are periodic, meaning they repeat themselves over a certain interval. This interval is 2π radians for both functions, so they will always have the same number of zeros within this interval.

5. Can sine and cosine functions have more than one zero in the same interval?

Yes, sine and cosine functions can have multiple zeros in the same interval. This is because the functions are not strictly increasing or decreasing over their entire domain, so they can cross the x-axis multiple times within a given interval. However, the number of zeros will always be the same for both functions within a given interval.