Sketching the Source Voltage

In summary, to sketch the source voltage for the given circuit, the load and source reflection coefficients were calculated to be 1/3 and -1/3, respectively. The initial voltage was also calculated using the given equations. To plot the source voltage over time, the equation for a triangular pulse train was used and the reflected voltage was added to it. Further calculations can be done using these values to analyze the circuit.
GatorsEE1102

Homework Statement

Sketch the source voltage from 0 < t < 7T with a source resistance of 0.5*Z_C and a load resistance of 2*Z_C and a signal generator that delivers a 1-V triangular pulse train down a lossless coaxial line. See image attached

Homework Equations

Equations to find reflection coefficients and initial voltage.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the load reflection and source reflection coefficients to be 1/3 and -1/3, respectively. I also calculated the initial voltage to be Z_C/(Z_C + R_S)*V_S = 0.667 V. I'm a bit stuck on where to go from here though. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• th.png
    th.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
!

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have made some good progress so far. In order to sketch the source voltage, you will need to plot the voltage over time for the given time interval. To do this, you can use the equation for a triangular pulse train, V(t) = (2V_0/T)*|t - (T/2)|, where V_0 is the peak voltage and T is the period of the pulse train. In this case, V_0 = 1 V and T = 7T.

Next, you can use the load reflection coefficient to calculate the voltage that is reflected back from the load towards the source. This can be done using the equation V_r = Γ_L*V_i, where V_r is the reflected voltage, Γ_L is the load reflection coefficient, and V_i is the initial voltage.

Once you have the reflected voltage, you can add it to the voltage from the pulse train to get the total source voltage. This will give you the voltage over time for the given interval.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Sketching the Source Voltage

1. What is the purpose of sketching the source voltage?

The purpose of sketching the source voltage is to visually represent the behavior of the voltage source over time. This can help in understanding the characteristics of the source and its effects on the circuit.

2. How do you sketch the source voltage?

To sketch the source voltage, you will need to plot the voltage values on the y-axis and the time on the x-axis. This can be done by measuring the voltage at different time intervals and plotting them on a graph. Alternatively, if you have a mathematical equation for the source voltage, you can use it to plot the values on a graph.

3. What are the important factors to consider when sketching the source voltage?

When sketching the source voltage, it is important to consider the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the voltage. These factors determine the shape and behavior of the voltage over time and are crucial in understanding the functioning of the circuit.

4. Can a voltage source have a constant value over time?

Yes, a voltage source can have a constant value over time. This is known as a DC (direct current) voltage source. However, most voltage sources in circuits are AC (alternating current) sources, which means their value changes over time in a specific pattern or waveform.

5. How does the source voltage affect the rest of the circuit?

The source voltage is the driving force in a circuit and affects the behavior of all components connected to it. The voltage determines the current flow and power dissipation in the circuit, which in turn affects the functioning and performance of the circuit.