Sketching Transfer function in time domain

In summary, the problem involves finding the output of a system at t=0 and t=infinity, given the transfer function y(s) and the input function u(s). The initial and final value theorems can be used to solve this problem, but it is important to include the step function u(s) = 1/s in the calculation. This is because the input function for this problem is not an impulse input, but rather a step input.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

$$ y(s) = \frac {s}{(s+1)(2s+1)} u(s) $$
Where ##u(s)## is the step function ##\frac {1}{s}##

Find the output at t=0 and t= infinity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is kind of basic, so I know the final and initial value theorem

$$ \lim_{s \to 0} sY(s) = \lim_{t \to \infty} y(t) $$

But should I include the step function, or leave it out. Meaning, should I evaluate

$$ \lim_{s \to 0} \frac {s^{2}}{(s+1)(2s+1)} \frac {1}{s}$$
or rather,
$$ \lim_{s \to 0} \frac {s^{2}}{(s+1)(2s+1)} $$

The reason I am hesitating on this is because in the textbook example problem, they do not mention what the input function is, and proceed to solve without the step function. Then I solved a homework problem where they asked to match the transfer function output with a step function input, and at that time I did not even realize, so I was only doing limits of Y(s), not sY(s), and got them all right. So now my head is all jumbled up and I just want to get this thing cleared up!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to include U(s) = 1/s.
If you used the initial & final value theorems without the U(s) input you'd be solving the problem with the input = kδ(t), the delta function aka impulse input, where k = 1 Volt-sec. If you're not familiar with the delta function, be careful with it. Unlike u(t) which is dimensionless, δ(t) has dimension 1/t.

Likes gfd43tg
Makes sense why I got them all right then, the s and 1/s cancel anyways

Related to Sketching Transfer function in time domain

1. What is a transfer function in time domain?

A transfer function in time domain is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the output of a system changes over time in response to a given input.

2. How do you sketch a transfer function in time domain?

To sketch a transfer function in time domain, you first need to identify the input and output variables of the system. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as Laplace transforms or differential equations to determine the transfer function. Finally, you can plot the transfer function on a graph to visualize the relationship between the input and output.

3. What information can be obtained from a transfer function in time domain?

A transfer function in time domain can provide information about the stability, frequency response, and overall behavior of a system. It can also be used to analyze the performance of a system and make predictions about its future behavior.

4. How is a transfer function in time domain different from a transfer function in frequency domain?

A transfer function in time domain describes the behavior of a system over time, while a transfer function in frequency domain describes the behavior of a system in terms of frequency. In other words, a transfer function in time domain shows how the output of a system changes over time in response to a given input, while a transfer function in frequency domain shows how the output of a system changes with different frequencies of input.

5. What are some real-world applications of transfer functions in time domain?

Transfer functions in time domain are commonly used in fields such as electrical engineering, control systems, and signal processing to analyze and design systems. They are also used in fields such as physics and chemistry to model and understand the behavior of physical systems.