Smallest Argument of Complex Number z |z+8i|=4

• Thread starter kishtik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Argument
In summary, to find the argument of the complex number z which has the smallest argument in |z+8i|=4, we can use the geometric interpretation of the equation to determine that the angle will be given by the tangent of the triangle formed by the line from 0 to -8i and the tangent line from 0 to the circle. This results in an angle of 240 degrees.
kishtik
What is the argument of the complex number z which has the smallest argument in |z+8i|=4?

I solved the problem correctly but my answer is rather long
|z-(-8i)|=4 (drawing)
z_0=a+bi, z_1=-a+bi
|a+bi+8i|=4
sqrt(a^2+(b+8)^2)=4 (radius)
a^2+b^2+16b+64=16 (eq 1)
And from 4-8-sqrt(48) triangle
sqrt(a^2+b^2)=sqrt(48)
a^2+b^2=48 (eq 2)
Place into eq 1
48+16b+64=16
16b=-96
b=-6
Placing into eq 2
a^2+36=48
a^2=12
a=+-sqrt(12)
z_0=sqrt(12)-6i
z_1=-sqrt(12)-6i
From the drawing, the smallest argument is at the third zone.
tan theta=-6/-sqrt(12)
=sqrt(3)
so theta=240 degrees.

There must be a shorter solution, can you please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Saying that |z+8i|= 4 is the same as saying (geometrically, in the complex plane) that the distance from z to -8i is 4. That is all z satisfying that are on a circle with center at -8i and radius 4.

The argument of a complex number is the angle the line from 0 to the number makes with the real axis. In this case it is geometrically clear that that will happen when the line from 0 to the circle is tangent to the circle (in the first quadrant). That tangent line, the line from 0 to -8i and the line from -8i to the point on the circle make a right triangle with hypotenuse of length 8 and one leg of length 4. (edited: I just realized that the problem only asks for the argument, not for the actual number itself.)

The angle from the (negative) imaginary axis is given by sin(φ)= 4/8= 1/2 and so φ= 30 degrees. The argument is 270- 30= 240 degrees just as you got.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by HallsofIvy
Saying that |z+8i|= 4 is the same as saying (geometrically, in the complex plane) that the distance from z to -8i is 4. That is all z satisfying that are on a circle with center at -8i and radius 4.

The argument of a complex number is the angle the line from 0 to the number makes with the real axis. In this case it is geometrically clear that that will happen when the line from 0 to the circle is tangent to the circle (in the first quadrant). That tangent line, the line from 0 to -8i and the line from -8i to the point on the circle make a right triangle with hypotenuse of length 8 and one leg of length 4. (edited: I just realized that the problem only asks for the argument, not for the actual number itself.)
Knew these.

The angle from the (negative) imaginary axis is given by sin(φ)= 4/8= 1/2 and so φ= 30 degrees. The argument is 270- 30= 240 degrees just as you got.
BLAAAAH! 4*2=8 I should have seen that!

Related to Smallest Argument of Complex Number z |z+8i|=4

1. What is the smallest argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle formed between the positive real axis and the vector representing the complex number on the complex plane. The smallest argument refers to the smallest positive angle between the positive real axis and the vector.

2. How do you find the smallest argument of a complex number?

To find the smallest argument of a complex number, you can use the formula arctan(b/a), where a is the real part of the complex number and b is the imaginary part. You can also find the argument by graphing the complex number on the complex plane and measuring the angle formed.

3. What does |z+8i|=4 represent in the equation "Smallest Argument of Complex Number z |z+8i|=4"?

The |z+8i|=4 represents the absolute value or magnitude of the complex number z+8i, which is equal to 4. This means that the distance from the complex number z to the point -8i on the imaginary axis is 4 units.

4. How does the absolute value affect the smallest argument of a complex number?

The absolute value does not affect the smallest argument of a complex number. It only represents the distance of the complex number from the origin on the complex plane. The smallest argument is determined by the ratio of the imaginary part to the real part of the complex number.

5. Can the smallest argument of a complex number be negative?

No, the smallest argument of a complex number is always a positive value. This is because the angle formed between the positive real axis and the vector representing the complex number is always measured counterclockwise, resulting in a positive value.