So, I looked up at the night sky, and I thought....

• Thread starter BigInit
  • Start date
In summary, looking up at the night sky can teach us about the vastness of the universe, the movements of celestial bodies, and the concept of time and space. The stars appear to twinkle because of the Earth's atmosphere, while a planet is a celestial body that orbits a star and does not produce its own light. We can see other galaxies from Earth, including the Andromeda Galaxy, and constellations have been used for navigation, timekeeping, and storytelling, and currently help astronomers locate and study specific stars and celestial objects.
BigInit
How did you find PF?
phys.org
Big, isn't it?

I've a Bachelors in Maths from many yonks ago. My son has a MsC in theoretical physics and I proof read his dissertation concerning the Hydrodynamics of Exploding Stars. I've for decades had an interest in Physics, primarily subatomic, quantum and cosmology.

I used to be able to do the maths.

Oh, and I'm a granddad. :smile:

Glad to be here. I've been meaning to sign up for years, but someone took my preferred handle, and it's taken me this long to figure out a new one.

BI.

Likes PeroK and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF! :smile:

Ok, now I have to ask: what was your preferred handle?

Bandersnatch said:
Ok, now I have to ask: what was your preferred handle?
I'd tell you, but then you'd know who I am elsewhere...

Oh... Wait.

just thought of something.. Yep. I did register, but I used a different email. I feel fick.

Ah well, I'll stick with this one. 😁

NotAllThere by the way. In case an admin would like to delete/disable it.

BigInit said:
NotAllThere by the way. In case an admin would like to delete/disable it.
Looks like it's from 2013 with only the one post, so we can just leave it alone. :smile:

BigInit said:
but someone took my preferred handle

Sorry about that.

So, I looked up at the night sky, and I thought... gosh, where did my roof go?

Related to So, I looked up at the night sky, and I thought....

What can we learn from looking up at the night sky?

Looking up at the night sky can teach us about the vastness of the universe, the movements of celestial bodies, and the concept of time and space. It can also inspire curiosity and wonder about the mysteries of the universe.

Why do the stars appear to twinkle?

The stars appear to twinkle because of the Earth's atmosphere. As light from the stars travels through the atmosphere, it is refracted and scattered by the different layers of air, causing the stars to appear to twinkle to our eyes.

What is the difference between a star and a planet?

A star is a luminous sphere of plasma held together by its own gravity, while a planet is a celestial body that orbits a star and does not produce its own light. Stars are much larger and hotter than planets, and they emit light and heat, while planets reflect light from their star.

Can we see any other galaxies from Earth?

Yes, we can see other galaxies from Earth. The Andromeda Galaxy, which is about 2.5 million light years away, is visible to the naked eye on a clear night. With the help of telescopes, we can see even more distant galaxies.

What is the significance of constellations?

Constellations are patterns of stars that were named and identified by ancient civilizations. They were used for navigation, timekeeping, and storytelling. Today, constellations help astronomers locate and study specific stars and other celestial objects.