Solve Equation of Line with Slope of 1¼

• Thread starter tehmatriks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, when dealing with slopes that contain a whole number and a fraction, first change the number into an improper fraction by multiplying the whole number by the denominator and adding the numerator. Another way to approach this is to think of the whole number as a sum of a fraction with a denominator that is equal to the denominator of the original fraction.
tehmatriks

Homework Statement

i just want to know how i go about it when the slope contains a whole number and a fraction, i.e. 1¼

Homework Equations

y - y1 = m(x - x1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Change the number into an improper fraction. Do you know how to do that?

For instance,
[tex]2\frac{1}{3} = \frac{7}{3}[/tex]

i didn't no, but from the looks of it you multiply the whole number by the denominator and add the numerator

so i got it, much appreciated

tehmatriks said:
i didn't no, but from the looks of it you multiply the whole number by the denominator and add the numerator

so i got it, much appreciated

Another way to think of it:

"Two and one-third" = [itex]2+\frac{1}{3}[/itex] ("and" typically means addition)

Think of a fraction with a denominator of 3 that is also equal to 2.

[tex]\frac{6}{3}+\frac{1}{3}=\frac{7}{3}[/tex]

This is probably a bit more work than what's necessary, but I find it much more interesting. :biggrin:

Related to Solve Equation of Line with Slope of 1¼

1. What is the formula for a line with a slope of 1¼?

The formula for a line with a slope of 1¼ is y = 1.25x + b, where b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you find the y-intercept of a line with a slope of 1¼?

To find the y-intercept of a line with a slope of 1¼, you can use the formula y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. In this case, the y-intercept is the value of b in the equation y = 1.25x + b.

3. Can you graph a line with a slope of 1¼?

Yes, you can graph a line with a slope of 1¼. To graph this line, you can plot the y-intercept on the y-axis and then use the slope to find additional points on the line. You can also use the slope-intercept form of the equation (y = mx + b) to graph the line.

4. What does a line with a slope of 1¼ look like?

A line with a slope of 1¼ has a positive slope and is steeper than a line with a slope of 1. It will also intersect the y-axis at a point that is 1.25 units above the origin.

5. Can you solve an equation of a line with a slope of 1¼ for a specific value of x or y?

Yes, you can solve an equation of a line with a slope of 1¼ for a specific value of x or y. To solve for a specific value, you can substitute the given value into the equation and solve for the other variable. For example, if you are given a value for x, you can plug it into the equation y = 1.25x + b and solve for y.