Solve Free Fall Problem: Object Launched at 25 m/s, Reaches 20m at 2.55 s

In summary, an object is launched upwards with a velocity of 25 m/s and we need to find the time (or times) at which it will be located 20 meters above the ground. Using the equation x=V_0 t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2, we can calculate the time it takes for the object to reach 20 meters. The answers are 0.994 seconds and 1.557 seconds.
cheerspens

Homework Statement

An object is launched upwards with a velocity of 25 m/s. At what time (or times) will the object be located twenty meters above the ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off with the following variable list:
Xo=0 Vo=25
X=0 V=0
t=? a=-9.8
Which seems very off to me.
When trying to solve I got 2.55 seconds. But is there another time where it reaches 20m?
How do you solve this?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
cheerspens said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off with the following variable list:
Xo=0 Vo=25
X=0 V=0
t=? a=-9.8
Which seems very off to me.
When trying to solve I got 2.55 seconds. But is there another time where it reaches 20m?
How do you solve this?
Thanks!

[tex]x=V_0 t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

will help you. Remember it is going up, reaching maximum height and falling back down to the ground. So at two times it will be 20m up in the air.

Would my answers be 0.994sec and 1.557sec?

Related to Solve Free Fall Problem: Object Launched at 25 m/s, Reaches 20m at 2.55 s

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of an object in free fall?

The acceleration of an object in free fall is always equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s².

2. How is the initial velocity of an object in free fall determined?

The initial velocity of an object in free fall can be determined by measuring the speed at which the object was launched or dropped from a height.

3. What is the formula for calculating the distance traveled by an object in free fall?

The formula for calculating the distance traveled by an object in free fall is d = vi(t) + 1/2at², where vi is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can the motion of an object in free fall be affected by air resistance?

Yes, the motion of an object in free fall can be affected by air resistance. Objects with a larger surface area or a lower density will experience more air resistance, which can slow down their descent.

5. How can the time of flight for an object in free fall be calculated?

The time of flight for an object in free fall can be calculated by using the formula t = √(2d/a), where d is the distance traveled and a is the acceleration due to gravity. In this case, the distance traveled is 20m and the acceleration is 9.8 m/s², so the time of flight would be approximately 2.04 seconds.