Solve integral by finding Fourier series of complex function

psie
Homework Statement
Expand the function ##u(x)=\frac1{r-e^{ix}},## where ##r>1##, in a Fourier series and use this to compute the integral ##\int _0^{2\pi }\frac{dx}{1-2r\cos x+r^2}##.
Relevant Equations
E.g. maybe the formula for the complex Fourier coefficients ##c_n=\frac1{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^\pi u(x)e^{-inx} dx##. Maybe Parseval's formula?
I've mostly worked with real-valued functions, but this seems to be a complex-valued function and the integral for the coefficient doesn't seem that nice, especially when I rewrite the function as $$u(x)=\frac{r-e^{-ix}}{r^2-2r\cos x+1}.$$ I'm stuck on where to even start. Any ideas? I prefer to solve this via Fourier series if this is possible, and not using some other trick.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the function

\begin{align*}
v(x) = A + u(x) e^{ix}
\end{align*}

where ##A## is an appropriately chosen constant. You only need the real part of the function.

Last edited:
I solved it using Fourier series. It's pretty straightforward actually. The function is $$u(x)=\frac1{r-e^{ix}}=\frac1{r}\frac{1}{1-\frac{e^{ix}}{r}},$$ where ##r>1##. You see, this is the sum of a geometric series. Writing that out you will obtain the complex Fourier series and thus the coefficients. Then to solve the integral, you simply apply Parseval's formula. Bingo!

Yes, that is how you obtain the Fourier coefficients. I was thinking

\begin{align*}
c_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\pi}^\pi \dfrac{r - \cos x}{r^2 - 2 r \cos x + 1} dx
\end{align*}

so you can't know the value of the integral you are after (##\int_{-\pi}^\pi \dfrac{1}{r^2 - 2 r \cos x + 1} dx##) from the value of ##c_0## of ##u(x)##.

However, you can get the value of the integral you are after from the value of the Fourier coefficient, ##c_0##, of ##v(x) = 1/2 + u(x) e^{ix}##.

Or, as you say, you can use Parseval's on ##u(x)##.

Last edited:

Related to Solve integral by finding Fourier series of complex function

1. How do you solve an integral by finding the Fourier series of a complex function?

To solve an integral by finding the Fourier series of a complex function, you first need to express the complex function as a sum of sines and cosines using the Fourier series. Then, you can integrate the resulting series term by term to find the value of the integral.

2. What is the Fourier series of a complex function?

The Fourier series of a complex function is a way to represent a periodic function as an infinite sum of sines and cosines. It allows you to analyze and manipulate complex functions using simpler trigonometric functions.

3. Why is it useful to find the Fourier series of a complex function when solving integrals?

Finding the Fourier series of a complex function can simplify the integration process by breaking down the function into simpler trigonometric terms. This can make it easier to evaluate integrals and solve complex mathematical problems.

4. Can any complex function be represented by a Fourier series?

Not all complex functions can be represented by a Fourier series. The function must be periodic and have a well-defined period in order to be expressed as a Fourier series. Functions that do not meet these criteria may not have a valid Fourier series representation.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier series method to solve integrals?

While the Fourier series method can be a powerful tool for solving integrals of complex functions, it may not always be the most efficient or accurate method. In some cases, other techniques such as numerical integration or symbolic computation may be more suitable for solving certain types of integrals.