Solve Magnitudal Tension Homework: Q & ACB Tension

• Thread starter ride4life
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the problem involves finding the tension in cable ACB and the magnitude of load Q, given that a load P of 750N is supported by cable CAD and Q is applied to pulley C, which can roll on cable ACB. Using free body diagrams and equations, the tension in cable ACB is found to be 474.7N and the magnitude of load Q is 241.6N. However, after a second attempt, the correct values are determined to be 579.5N for the tension in cable ACB and 994.9N for the magnitude of load Q.
ride4life

Homework Statement

A load Q is applied to the pulley C, which can roll on the cable ACB. The pulley is held in position shown by a second cable CAD, which passes over the pulley A and supports a load P. Knowing that P=750N, determine
a) the tension in cable ACB
and
b) the magnitude of load Q

Homework Equations

Using cos and sin rules...?

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram around C, with Q going down, a cable going to the right 25 degrees above the horizontal and a cable going to the left 55 degrees above the horizontal.
The cable on the left i assumed to be 750N.
So the sum of the forces along the X axis is (Tension of ACB)cos25-750cos55=0 and T came out to equal 474.7N.
The sum of the forces along the Y axis is (Tension of ACB)sin25+750sin55-Q=0 and I got Q to equal 241.6N
The answers came out to be in the kiloNewtons.

I also tried another way after finding out my answers were completely off. If it is 750N down, then the cable going from C to A would equal 915.6N (CA = 750/sin55). Using 915.6 as the force for my left cable on my free body diagram, the sum of the forces along the X axis is (Tension of ACB)cos25-915.6cos55=0 and the Tension came out to be 579.5N.
The sum of the forces along the Y axis is 579.5sin25+915.6sin55-Q=0 and Q=994.9N. These answers were also wrong.

So please, can anyone direct me in the correct direction?

Attachments

• Statics.png
    Statics.png
    1 KB · Views: 849
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think your first attempt is correct. i see nothing wrong. don't know if i am missing something.

There are two string in the problem.
i) The string ACB, one end of which is fixed to the center of the pulley A. Each segment of the string has a tension T.
ii)The string DAC, one end of which is fixed to the center of the pulley C.
Net force in the Y direction is
T*cosθ1 + T*cosθ2) - Q = 0...(1)
String DAC at rest when
Q*cosθ1 - T = P. ...(2)
Here θ1 and θ2 are the angles made by the segments AC and CB with the vertical.
Substitute the value of Q from the eq.1 in eq1.2 and solve for T. From that find Q.

rl.bhat said:
There are two string in the problem.
i) The string ACB, one end of which is fixed to the center of the pulley A. Each segment of the string has a tension T.
ii)The string DAC, one end of which is fixed to the center of the pulley C.
Net force in the Y direction is
T*cosθ1 + T*cosθ2) - Q = 0...(1)
String DAC at rest when
Q*cosθ1 - T = P. ...(2)
Here θ1 and θ2 are the angles made by the segments AC and CB with the vertical.
Substitute the value of Q from the eq.1 in eq1.2 and solve for T. From that find Q.

I understand the first equation, but instead of using cos, I had sin55 and sin25. But I don't understand your second equation...

Sweet! I have figured it out!

can you help i have the same problem

Related to Solve Magnitudal Tension Homework: Q & ACB Tension

1. What is magnitudal tension?

Magnitudal tension is the measure of the force applied to a system that causes it to stretch or elongate. It is usually represented by the symbol T and is measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How is magnitudal tension calculated?

Magnitudal tension can be calculated using the formula T = F/A, where T is the tension force, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object experiencing tension.

3. What is the difference between Q and ACB tension?

Q tension is the tension force acting in the vertical direction, while ACB tension is the tension force acting in the horizontal direction. Both forces contribute to the overall magnitudal tension in a system.

4. How do you solve magnitudal tension problems?

To solve magnitudal tension problems, you need to identify the relevant forces acting on the system, determine the tension in each direction (Q and ACB), and then use the equations for magnitudal tension and equilibrium to solve for the unknown variables.

5. What factors can affect the magnitude of tension in a system?

The magnitude of tension in a system can be affected by various factors such as the applied force, the material properties of the object experiencing tension, the angle of the applied force, and the presence of other external forces acting on the system.