Solve Substitution Problem: x^2+2y^2=9, x-y+3=0 with x=(-1,-3) and y=(2,0)

In summary: Does the graph make sense based on your two solution points?Yes, the graph makes sense based on the two solution points.
wat2000
x^2+2y^2=9
x-y+3=0

I have x=(-1,-3) y=(2,0)

I don't want to have to write out the whole problem I just want to know if this is correct

Can someone tell me if this is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the graph make sense based on your two solution points?

Does EACH solution point for (x, y) satisfy BOTH equations?

Ive tried to graph but it won't show up on my graph. shouldn't it be y=(sqrt-1/2x^2-9/2) y=(-sqrt-1/2^x2-9/2) y=x+3

Wait its +9 not-9. Yes when I plug it into my calculator I find the points x=(-1,-3) y=(2,0)

You don't have to graph anything. All you need to do is verify that x = -3, y = 0 is a solution of both equations, and that x = -1, y = 2 is a solution of both equations.

That is equivalent to (-3, 0) and (-1, 2) being the intersecting points of both graphs.

You should not write solutions this way:
wat2000 said:
I have x=(-1,-3) y=(2,0)
When people see ordered pairs, as above, they usually assume that the first number is the x coordinate and the second is the y coordinate.

wat2000 said:
x^2+2y^2=9
x-y+3=0

I have x=(-1,-3) y=(2,0)
This is not a very good way of writing the answer. First, it is easy to think, as Mark44 says, that the pair is (x, y).

Further, a "solution" is not just a value of x and a value of y, it is a specific x and y pair. That is, x= -1 and y= n2 is a solution but x= -1 and y= 0 is not. x= -2 and y= 0 is a solution but x= -1 and y= 0 is not. Better to write the solutions as (x, y)= (-1, 2) and (x, y)= (-3, 0).
I don't want to have to write out the whole problem I just want to know if this is correct

Can someone tell me if this is correct?

Related to Solve Substitution Problem: x^2+2y^2=9, x-y+3=0 with x=(-1,-3) and y=(2,0)

1. How do you solve a substitution problem?

The substitution method involves solving for one variable in one equation and substituting that value into the other equation to solve for the other variable.

2. What is the first step in solving this specific substitution problem?

The first step is to substitute the given values for x and y into the equations to create a system of equations with two unknowns.

3. Can you solve this problem without using substitution?

Yes, it is possible to solve this problem using other methods such as elimination or graphing, but substitution is the most efficient method in this case.

4. What is the solution to this substitution problem?

The solution is x=1 and y=2. When we substitute those values into the equations, we get (1)^2+2(2)^2=9 and (1)-(2)+3=0, which are both true.

5. Can this substitution problem have multiple solutions?

No, this specific substitution problem has only one solution since there are only two variables and two equations, which form a unique solution.