Solve the given vector problem

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses a past paper question and its markscheme, specifically regarding a question on finding parallel vectors. The markscheme gives different methods for finding the answer and awards marks for using these methods correctly. The conversation also mentions a possible oversight in the markscheme and acknowledges the insight of the expert.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
This is an international past paper question- I have attached the question and the markscheme... the ms was a bit confusing for 2 marks hence my post.
Relevant Equations
vectors.
This is an international past paper question- I have attached the question and the markscheme... the ms was a bit confusing for 2 marks hence my post.

Question; interest is on part iii. only

1673515205191.png

Mark scheme solution;

1673515315922.png
My thinking;

Let

##OD=λOA## Where ##λ## is a scalar.

##OD=λ
\begin{pmatrix}
2 & \\
-3 & \\
\end{pmatrix}##

Let

##DC=κOB## Where ##κ## is a scalar.

##DC=κ
\begin{pmatrix}
11 & \\
42 & \\
\end{pmatrix}##

##OD+DC=OC##

##λ
\begin{pmatrix}
2 & \\
-3 & \\
\end{pmatrix}

\begin{pmatrix}
11 & \\
42 & \\
\end{pmatrix}
=
\begin{pmatrix}
5 & \\
12 & \\
\end{pmatrix}
##

We end up with the simultaneous equation;

##2λ+11κ=5##
##-3λ+42κ=12##

##39λ=26##

##λ=\dfrac{2}{3}##

therefore,

##OD=\dfrac{2}{3}
\begin{pmatrix}
2 & \\
-3 & \\
\end{pmatrix}=\dfrac{4}{3} i -2j
##

Unless, there is something i have overlooked on the ms... the question ought to have been given more marks...cheers

Your insight highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The mark scheme seems pretty consistent in awarding one mark for choosing a correct method and one mark for getting the correct answer using that method. So part (i) is worth two marks: one for observing that [itex]\vec{AB} = \vec{OB} - \vec{OA}[/itex] and one for doing the subtraction. Part (ii) is worth 4 marks: 2 for finding [itex]\vec{OC}[/itex] and 2 for calculating its length. Part (iii) is worth 2 marks: one for stating a condition which ensures that [itex]\vec{DC}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{OB}[/itex] are parallel, and one for using that condition to find [itex]\vec{OD}[/itex].

For part (iii), the mark scheme gives two methods to find [itex]\vec{OD}[/itex], each of which get the same number of marks:
  • If [itex]\vec{DC}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{OB}[/itex] are parallel, then [itex]OAB[/itex] and [itex]DAC[/itex] are similar triangles. We know [itex]\vec{AC} = \frac13 \vec{AB}[/itex], so [itex]\vec{AD} = \frac13\vec{AO}[/itex] and hence [itex]\vec{OD} = \frac23 \vec{OA}[/itex]. (This is the most obvious method if you've drawn a diagram.)
  • If vectors are parallel then the ratios of the [itex]\mathbf{i}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{j}[/itex] components are equal; we know that [itex]\vec{DC} = (5 - 2\lambda)\mathbf{i} + (12 + 3\lambda)\mathbf{j}[/itex] for some [itex]\lambda[/itex] and we know [itex]\vec{OB}[/itex].
So whatever method you use to determine [itex]\vec{OD}[/itex], and yours involves more steps than both of these, you get one method mark and one answer mark.

Last edited:
Likes chwala