Solving Attached Problem, Plus MHF Update

• MHB
  • Thread starter Cairo
  • Start date
In summary: However, I am struggling with the squeeze rule.Can you please elaborate on this?In summary, the person is having trouble proving part (i) and (iii) of the question and is struggling with the squeeze rule.
Cairo
Could anybody help me with the attached problem?

I've managed to prove part (ii) and (iv) of the question, but have no idea where to begin with part (i). I'm assuming that the result follows by using the definitions, but cannot make any progress with it.

For part (iii) I have thought about looking at the ration of the two norms and then using the squeeze rule but again, have yet to make any progress with this.

Any help would be much appreciated here.

Do we also know when MHF will be up and running again?

Attachments

• lp space.zip
    58.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the attached problem?

dray said:

I don't see any attachment and please read http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?119-is-the-mhf-dead in regards to MHF. This is a new site that will remain for a long time. Shoot me a PM if you can't work out the attachment issue.

For question i), if $a=0$ it's clear, and otherwise, for $r<\infty$ use the fact that the sequence $\{a_n\}$ converges to $0$. For $r=\infty$, it's not true (take $a_n=1-\frac 1n$).

girdav said:
For question i), if $a=0$ it's clear, and otherwise, for $r<\infty$ use the fact that the sequence $\{a_n\}$ converges to $0$. For $r=\infty$, it's not true (take $a_n=1-\frac 1n$).

Thanks for replying so quickly, Girdav. However, I'm still not sure how to translate this into a proof as such.

That's your job, so I will only give a sketch of proof. If $a=0$ then the result is obvious, and if $a\neq 0$, since $\lim_{n\to \infty}a_n=0$ we can find an integer $N$ such that $|a_n|\leq \frac{\lVert a\rVert_{\infty}}2$ if $n\geq N$. So the index we are looking for is between $0$ and $N-1$.

I've tried and tried and tried and still don't get this!

What do you get?

dray said:

Nobody knows. What I do know is that MHB is not going away any time soon. It also does not suffer from the same problem MHF did: a site owner who had orphaned the site.

girdav said:
What do you get?

It's just the first part I am unsure of. Am I to show that a convergent sequence attains its supremum?

Yes, and here it's a little more easy since it converges to $0$. Did you try with my hints?

girdav said:
That's your job, so I will only give a sketch of proof. If $a=0$ then the result is obvious, and if $a\neq 0$, since $\lim_{n\to \infty}a_n=0$ we can find an integer $N$ such that $|a_n|\leq \frac{\lVert a\rVert_{\infty}}2$ if $n\geq N$. So the index we are looking for is between $0$ and $N-1$.

OK - I give up with this problem! I just cannot see how you make the jump from converges to zero on to attaining its supremum.

Where did the 2 in the denominator come from in your inequality?

I'm at least partially happy that I have managed to prove the remaining parts of the problem.

Related to Solving Attached Problem, Plus MHF Update

What is the attached problem in the context of scientific research?

The attached problem refers to a specific issue or challenge that is closely related to the main research question or objective. It is often a more complex or nuanced aspect of the research that requires additional attention and analysis.

Why is solving attached problems important in scientific research?

Solving attached problems is important because it allows researchers to gain a deeper understanding of their main research question and its implications. It also helps to ensure the validity and accuracy of the research findings.

How can researchers approach solving attached problems?

Researchers can approach solving attached problems by thoroughly reviewing existing literature, consulting with other experts in the field, conducting experiments or analyses, and continuously evaluating and adjusting their methods as needed.

What is an MHF update and how does it relate to solving attached problems?

MHF stands for "most-likely and highest-risk forecast," which is an update to the original research hypothesis based on the analysis of the attached problem. It helps researchers to refine their approach and make more accurate predictions.

What are some common challenges in solving attached problems?

Some common challenges in solving attached problems include limited access to resources or data, conflicting results or interpretations, and the need for innovative thinking to address complex issues. Effective communication and collaboration among researchers can also be a challenge in solving attached problems.