Solving Boat Puncture Problem: Gauge P & Water Velocity

• Thread starter ZanyCat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boat
In summary, the problem involves a boat with a combined mass of 200kg hitting a rock and forming a 1-cm diameter hole 20cm below the water line. The gauge pressure of the water at the depth of the hole is 1960Pa, but the pressure at the hole itself is reduced to 0 due to the water flowing towards it. This reduced pressure causes the water to spray upwards, potentially reaching a maximum height of 20cm. However, this is an idealized scenario and in reality, there are other factors such as viscosity and turbulence that would prevent the water from reaching this height. There is no specific term for the upward pressure that causes the water to enter the hole.
ZanyCat
The problem statement:

You and a friend are in a boat in a river, the combined mass of this system is 200kg.
The boat hits a rock and a hole of 1-cm diameter forms in the bottom of the boat, which is 20cm below the water line.

1) What is the gauge pressure of the water at the depth of the hole?
2) What is the velocity of the water entering the hole?
[/B]

The attempt at a solution:

I got 1) fine, by using P=ρgh, and got 1960Pa.

For 2) I'm trying to use Bernoulli's principle (P + 1/2*ρv2 + ρgy = constant), but I don't know if this is valid seeing as we're talking about vertical (and not horizontal) velocity.

So I made the LHS of Bernoulli apply to the water surface, where P= 0 (gauge pressure is relative to atmospheric pressure), v= 0 and y= 0, so the entire LHS= 0.
Then for the RHS at the hole, P= 1960Pa, y= -0.2m, and v is unknown,
Solving this got me v=0, however. Even making y positive did nothing, it gave imaginary values.

I've even tried using P=F/A to work out the force pushing upwards at the hole, but that gets me nowhere also.

Help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
At the location of the hole, the pressure is not the pressure that you found in part (1). The hole is exposed to the atmosphere.

Likes 1 person
Ah that makes a bit more sense.
Maybe I'm struggling conceptually then.

So is the pressure at -20cm equal to 1960Pa everywhere except for directly underneath the area of the hole where it's equal to 0?

The pressure would be 1960 Pa at -20 cm for points where the water is not flowing (say, far from the hole in the boat). In the region underwater near the hole, the water is flowing along streamlines toward the hole. The closer to the hole, the faster the water flows and the pressure is reduced more and more from what it would be if the water were at rest. At the hole, the gauge pressure is reduced back to 0. So, it depends on how close to the hole you get as to what the pressure would be. Hope this makes sense.

Likes 1 person
Awesome, completely makes sense. So the reduced pressure of the hole causes the water to flow towards it and ultimately 'spray' upwards. (I assume it would reach a max height of 20cm to once again obey Bernoulli's equation)

Really appreciate the help.

Yes, according to the result using Bernoulli's equation, if the water is moving vertically upward through the hole, then the water would reach a maximum height equal to the level of the water in the lake. In reality, it would not reach that height due to viscosity, turbulence, etc. Bernoulli's equation neglects these effects.

I have a less technical question about the hole in the boat. What is the term for the upward pressure that causes the water to enter the hole? Thanks!

Related to Solving Boat Puncture Problem: Gauge P & Water Velocity

1. How do I determine the size of the puncture in my boat?

The size of the puncture can be determined by measuring the diameter of the hole or the length of the tear using a ruler or tape measure. It is important to accurately measure the size of the puncture to determine the appropriate repair method.

2. What is the significance of Gauge P in solving the boat puncture problem?

Gauge P refers to the pressure gauge on the boat, which measures the amount of air or water pressure inside the boat. This information is important in determining the extent of damage caused by the puncture and the amount of air or water that needs to be removed before repairing the puncture.

3. How does water velocity affect the boat puncture problem?

Water velocity, or the speed at which water is flowing, can have a significant impact on the boat puncture problem. If the boat is moving at high speeds, the water entering through the puncture will have a greater force and can potentially cause more damage. Additionally, the water velocity can impact the accuracy of the pressure gauge readings.

4. Can I use the same repair method for all types of boat punctures?

No, the appropriate repair method will depend on the size and location of the puncture, as well as the type of material the boat is made of. Small punctures can be patched with adhesive or tape, while larger punctures may require more extensive repairs.

5. Are there any preventative measures I can take to avoid boat punctures?

Yes, there are several steps you can take to prevent boat punctures. These include avoiding shallow or rocky areas, regularly inspecting and maintaining the boat's hull for any weak spots, and properly securing any equipment or objects that could potentially cause damage to the boat.