Solving Car Battery Power Output Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car battery with a 12V EMF and 120 amp hours. The potential difference across the terminals is assumed to be constant and the question asks for the battery's ability to deliver energy at a rate of 100W. However, there is missing information such as the current, internal resistance, and real voltage. The conversation explores different equations and techniques to solve the problem, ultimately determining that the question is ambiguous and requires further clarification.
Prodigalvanic

Homework Statement

A car battery with 12V EMF charged to 120amp hours. Assume potential difference across terminals is constant. How long can the battery deliver energy at a rate of 100Watts.
Missing is current (i), internat resistance (r), and real voltage (Vr)

Homework Equations

(Amp hours)*(real voltage)=(watt hours)
EMF-i*r=V
i*EMF-(i^2)*r=Watts
Watts=i*V

The Attempt at a Solution

There needs to be a way to eliminate any of the three variables i,r,Vr.
I think I am missing an equation.

(1)...i*(12V=EMF)-(i^2)r=100W reduces to -r=100W/(i^2)-12V/i
(2)...(12V=EMF)-i*r=I*Vr reduces to -r=(Vr-12V)/i
(3)... combine 1&2 to get (V-12)/i=100/(i^2)-12/i
That was pointless! There are still two variables but maybe you know something I don't.

I can assign arbitrary guesses to either r or i and then work it out and check if my resultant Vr is under 12V but that produces a range of possible answers. Namely any i and any r such that (i*r) is less than 12V and more than 0 will produce a possible Vr. Furthermore any unique possible Vr multiplied with 120amp hours results in a unique possible battery life.

There has to be another equation to derive the one I need!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Watts = I*V is a good place to start. If the battery is producing a constant 100W at 12V, what is the constant current?

gneill said:
Watts = I*V is a good place to start. If the battery is producing a constant 100W at 12V, what is the constant current?

The V in "watts=i*V" is the real V (Vr) not the emf. The battery is not producing 100W at 12V its producing 100W and its emf is 12V.
To answer "what is the constant current?". Thats the missing value (i). I don't know where to go from here but I think its different equations.
There is a good problem solving technique called "its all about the joules". If i can relate joules available to use in the battery with joules used that should do it. But I don't know which equations to derive. I'll try to find suspects and share them.

According to the problem statement, "Assume potential difference across terminals is constant". That declares the voltage to remain at 12V, like it or not. This is a DC circuit, so one does not expect current versus voltage phase differences. The "real" V is 12V. The emf is 12V. They're one and the same here.

It could be that you're making your life harder by overthinking the problem.

gneill said:
It could be that you're making your life harder by overthinking the problem.

It wouldn't be the first time. The definition of a "real" battery is that the potential across it's terminals is not equal to the emf. Thats why the question is worded with the key phrase "voltage across the terminals". The statement appears to declare that this voltage across the terminals is constant, if the battery were ideal that voltage would be 12V.
The problem statement uses two key phrases: A-"car battery" (none of which are ideal) B-"...voltage across the terminals is constant" (why use so many words rather than "...emf is constant" if not to drop a hint?)
That said, your disagreement is enough of a sanity check. I have class tomorrow, Ill ask then.

Resolved, I was "overthinking it". Actually I thinks its an ambiguous question but that's normal for textbooks.

Related to Solving Car Battery Power Output Problem

1. How do car batteries lose their power output over time?

The most common reason for a decrease in car battery power output is due to natural wear and tear. As the battery ages, its internal components start to degrade, resulting in a decrease in its overall performance.

2. Can extreme weather conditions affect the power output of a car battery?

Yes, extreme temperatures can have a significant impact on the power output of a car battery. In extremely cold weather, the chemical reactions inside the battery slow down, reducing its ability to produce power. Similarly, in extremely hot weather, the battery can overheat and potentially damage its internal components, leading to a decrease in power output.

3. How can I increase the power output of my car battery?

There are a few ways to increase the power output of a car battery. One way is to regularly maintain and clean the battery's terminals to ensure a good electrical connection. Another option is to use a battery charger to recharge the battery and restore its power. Lastly, purchasing a higher quality, higher capacity battery can also provide a boost in power output.

4. What are some signs that my car battery has a power output problem?

If your car is struggling to start or the lights and electronics are dimmer than usual, these could be signs of a power output problem with your car battery. Additionally, if your battery is constantly losing its charge, it could be a sign that it is not producing enough power.

5. Can a power output problem be fixed or do I need to replace my car battery?

The answer to this question depends on the severity of the power output problem. In some cases, a simple recharge or maintenance may be enough to restore the power output of a car battery. However, if the battery is severely degraded or damaged, it may need to be replaced to fully resolve the issue.