Solving Complex Numbers Equations in Polar Coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about converting an equation with complex numbers to polar coordinates. The individual was able to find the value of r easily, but is having trouble finding the angle. Another user suggests multiplying the equation by the conjugate and separating the real and imaginary parts, which leads to a solution of (6/sqrt(97))e^(i*156 degrees) or 2.723368 radians.
dashkin111
[SOLVED] Complex Numbers

Homework Statement

I was given an equation with complex numbers, and told to convert to polar coordinates. I was able to find r relatively easily, but finding the angle is giving me trouble- I am having difficulties in breaking the equation down into imaginary and real parts.

The equation:

[tex]\frac{-6}{9+4i}[/tex]

Homework Equations

See part 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found r by doing the following:

[tex]\frac{|-6|}{|9+4i|}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{6}{\sqrt{81+16}}[/tex]

[tex]r=\frac{6}{\sqrt{97}}[/tex]

Now finding theta is where I get into trouble. I can't seem to understand what to do. I tried just doing it as if all of the fraction was imaginary, which would give me -pi/2 (am I right in thinking this?), but that doesn't work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Attempt to multiply the number by [tex]\frac{9-4i}{9-4i}[/tex]. Then you can easily separate the real and imaginary parts.

ptr said:
Attempt to multiply the number by [tex]\frac{9-4i}{9-4i}[/tex]. Then you can easily separate the real and imaginary parts.
Ahh wow thank you, I didn't even think of multiplying by the conjugate :approve:

It's been years since I did complex numbers so I felt silly asking that, but thank you so much

Did you get (6/Sqrt[97])e^(i*156º)?

Last edited:
Mindscrape said:
Did you get (6/Sqrt[97])e^(i*156º)?

2.723368 radians :cool:

Related to Solving Complex Numbers Equations in Polar Coordinates

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they used in solving complex number equations?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional plane using a distance (r) from the origin and an angle (θ) from a reference line. In solving complex number equations, polar coordinates are used to express complex numbers in terms of their magnitude and phase angle, making it easier to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How do you convert from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from rectangular coordinates (x + iy) to polar coordinates (r∠θ), you can use the following formulas:

r = √(x² + y²) and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x)

3. What is the De Moivre's theorem and how is it used in solving complex number equations?

De Moivre's theorem states that for any complex number z = r(cosθ + isinθ), its n-th power can be expressed as zⁿ = rⁿ(cos(nθ) + isin(nθ)). This theorem is useful in solving complex number equations in polar coordinates because it allows us to easily find the n-th root of a complex number by taking the n-th root of its magnitude and dividing the angle by n.

4. How do you solve complex number equations in polar coordinates?

To solve complex number equations in polar coordinates, you can use the following steps:

1. Convert the complex numbers from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates.

2. Perform the necessary operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) using the formulas for polar coordinates.

3. If needed, convert the final answer back to rectangular coordinates.

5. Can you give an example of solving a complex number equation in polar coordinates?

Sure, let's solve the equation (1 + 2i)⁴ in polar coordinates.

Step 1: Convert (1 + 2i) to polar coordinates: r = √(1² + 2²) = √5 and θ = tan⁻¹(2/1) = 63.43°

Step 2: Use De Moivre's theorem to find (1 + 2i)⁴: (1 + 2i)⁴ = (5√5)⁴(cos(4*63.43°) + isin(4*63.43°)) = 625(cos(253.72°) + isin(253.72°))

Step 3: Convert the final answer back to rectangular coordinates: 625(cos(253.72°) + isin(253.72°)) = -625 + 3125i

Therefore, (1 + 2i)⁴ = -625 + 3125i in rectangular coordinates.