Solving Equilibrium Problem: Find Forces in Ropes and Ball & Socket Joint

In summary, the tension in each line is 120 lb, the tension at the ball and socket joint is 400 lb, and the total force is 800 lb.
mj123
A rod weighs 180 lb and has a 400 lb load located at point A is suspended in the air by two lines runningfrom point A to points C and D and a ball and socket joint at E. Find the forces for the tension in eachline (rope?, cable?) (A to C and A to D) and the forces at the ball and socket joint.

I figured out the tensions.. but the ball and socket its confusing

Physics news on Phys.org
mj123: The PF rules state we are not allowed to tell you how to approach or solve your homework problem. See the required homework template that appears when you start to create a new thread in the homework forums. You must list relevant equations yourself, and show your work; and then someone might check your math. Also, you would need to show a diagram of the problem.

sorry.. I figured out that TAD=TAD[-.6506-.390+.6509] and TAC=TAC[.394-.4728+.788]

then i know that i have to find Bx,By and Bz. But I am kind of stuck there 'cause I am not sure how the 180lb and the 400lb influence in the whole problem

http://www.mech.utah.edu/~me1300/CP1.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
mj123: Maintain at least four, preferably five, significant digits for all your intermediate calculations. Use the static equilibrium equations, such as summation(Fx) = 0, summation(Fy) = 0, summation(Fz) = 0, summation(Mx) = 0, to solve simultaneously for the unknowns. If you show your work, someone might check your math.

Draw a free body diagram (FBD) similar to the given figure ( I assume there is a mistake and B is the same as E). On the FBD, draw all the forces that act on it, including at the ball joint. Then make equilibrium statements from which you can extract your answers.

Related to Solving Equilibrium Problem: Find Forces in Ropes and Ball & Socket Joint

1. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and no acceleration.

2. How do you solve equilibrium problems?

To solve equilibrium problems, you must first draw a free-body diagram of the object and identify all the forces acting on it. Then, set up equations of equilibrium by applying Newton's laws of motion and solve for the unknown forces.

3. What is a ball and socket joint?

A ball and socket joint is a type of joint in which one end of a bone is shaped like a ball and fits into a cup-like socket on the other bone, allowing for a wide range of motion.

4. How do you find forces in ropes?

To find the forces in ropes, you must first draw a free-body diagram of the object and identify all the forces acting on the ropes. Then, set up equations of equilibrium for each rope and solve for the unknown forces.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving equilibrium problems?

Some common mistakes when solving equilibrium problems include forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object, setting up incorrect equations of equilibrium, and incorrectly assuming that all forces are acting in the same direction.