Solving for cx: Specific Heat of Material X | Calorimetry Question

• Thread starter davekardle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calorimetry
In summary, to find the specific heat of material X, Cx, in a system containing 75g of X, a 30g copper calorimeter, and 165g of water, all initially at 20°C, and then adding 100g of water at 80°C resulting in a final temperature of 49°C, the following calculations were made: 0.03 x 0.386 x 20 = 0.2316 KJ of energy available from the copper, 0.065 x 4.2 x 20 = 5.5 KJ of energy available from the water, and 1.5Cx KJ of energy offered by X. When added to the energy provided by the
davekardle

Homework Statement

To find cx, the specific heat of material X, I place 75g of X in a 30g copper
calorimeter that contains 65g of water, all initially at 20°C. When I add 100g of
water at 80°C, the final temperature is 49°C. What is cx?
Data: cCU = 386 J kg
K
-

Homework Equations

Q=mcDt

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding out the amount of energy around in the system of water and cupper and then added the energy provided by the addition of X, with its variable Cx.
I then added the energy provided by the 100g of water at 80. and equalled that to the ( Sum of masses x Cw x Cc x Cx x 49. and then tried to calculate the variable Cx by rearranging. The answer is 2.18 Kj. I can't find it :(

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi davekardle! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Energy Available in the system ( H2O + Cu)

Q= 0.03 x 0.386 x 20 = 0.2316 KJ (Cu)
Q= 0.065 x 4.2 x 20 = 5.5

total Qw + Qcu = 5.7 Kj KG- C-

ENERGY offered by X:

Q= 0.075x Cx x 20= 1.5Cx

Energy offered by water:

Q= 0.1 x 4.2 x 80 = 33.6 Kj Kg- c-

ADDING energies=

5.5 + 1.5Cx + 33.6 = 0.170kg(TOTAL mass of mix) x (0.27 x 4.2) x Cx x 49 ( final temp)

rearranging

39.3 = 19.9Cx
Cx= 1.97Kj

Which is wrong :(

i don't understand this bit …
davekardle said:
0.170kg(TOTAL mass of mix) x (0.27 x 4.2) x Cx x 49 ( final temp)

(what is the 0.27 ? and …)

don't you need to continue to treat each of the materials separately?

(btw, you've used a "zero-energy-level" of 0° …

it would be easier and quicker to use 20°)​

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of specific heat and how it relates to the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a substance. I would also take into consideration the heat capacity of the copper calorimeter and its impact on the overall energy of the system.

Using the given data and the equation Q=mcΔT, I can calculate the initial energy of the system before the addition of 100g of water. This would be equal to the energy gained by the water and the calorimeter, which can be represented as (65g+30g) x 386 J/kg-K x (49°C-20°C). This gives us an initial energy of 21,630 J.

Next, I would consider the energy added by the 100g of water at 80°C. Using the same equation, we can calculate the energy gained by this water as 100g x 4186 J/kg-K x (49°C-80°C), which is equal to -12,534 J. This negative value indicates that the water is losing energy as it cools down to the final temperature of 49°C.

Now, to find the specific heat of material X (Cx), we can set up an equation where the total energy gained by the system (initial energy + energy added by the 100g of water) is equal to the sum of the masses (75g+65g+30g) multiplied by the specific heat of water (4186 J/kg-K) and the specific heat of the copper calorimeter (386 J/kg-K) and the specific heat of material X (Cx) multiplied by the change in temperature (49°C-20°C). This can be represented as:

21,630 J - 12,534 J = (75g+65g+30g) x (4186 J/kg-K + 386 J/kg-K + Cx) x (49°C-20°C)

Solving for Cx, we get Cx = 4.2 J/kg-K. This is the specific heat of material X.

In conclusion, the specific heat of material X (Cx) is 4.2 J/kg-K. It is important to note that this value may vary depending on the purity and physical properties of the material. Further experimentation and analysis may be needed to accurately determine the specific heat of material X.

Related to Solving for cx: Specific Heat of Material X | Calorimetry Question

1. What is calorimetry and why is it important?

Calorimetry is the scientific measurement of the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction or physical process. It is important because it allows scientists to determine the energy changes that occur in a system, which can provide insights into the nature of the reaction or process.

2. How is calorimetry used in experiments?

Calorimetry is used in experiments by measuring the temperature change of a substance or system before and after a reaction or process. This change in temperature is then used to calculate the amount of heat released or absorbed. The equipment used for calorimetry experiments includes a calorimeter, thermometer, and a known amount of reactants or substances.

3. What are the different types of calorimetry?

There are two main types of calorimetry: constant pressure calorimetry and constant volume calorimetry. In constant pressure calorimetry, the pressure remains constant while the volume can change, whereas in constant volume calorimetry, the volume remains constant while the pressure can change. Other types include bomb calorimetry, differential scanning calorimetry, and isothermal titration calorimetry.

4. What are the applications of calorimetry?

Calorimetry has numerous applications in various scientific fields. It is commonly used in chemistry to study chemical reactions and determine the energy changes involved. It is also used in biochemistry to study enzyme kinetics and protein stability. In physics, calorimetry is used to study thermodynamic properties of materials. Other applications include food and nutrition analysis, pharmaceutical development, and energy efficiency testing.

5. What are some sources of error in calorimetry experiments?

Some sources of error in calorimetry experiments include heat loss to the surroundings, incomplete mixing of reactants, and inaccuracies in temperature measurements. Other sources can include impurities in the substances used, variations in atmospheric pressure, and human error in recording data. These sources of error can affect the accuracy and precision of the results obtained from a calorimetry experiment.