Solving for R & XL Given Z & Phase Angle

In summary: In this particular circuit, the current is flowing in the direction of the arrow and the voltage is flowing in the direction of the bar. So the voltage across the inductor leads the current by 90 degrees, and the voltage across the capacitor lags the current by 90 degrees.
smunger81
Here's a tricky one...
A resistor is in series with an inductor, with the current (I) lagging behind the voltage (V) by 60degrees. I am given the impedance (Z) of the circuit, which is 350ohms. How the heck can I find the resistance (R) and the inductive reactance (XL) when I know only the impedance and the phase angle.

XL=2pifL
Z=sq.root(R^2+(XL-XC)^2

What equation would I use...since I don't know f, L, or C?

Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you don't have a capacitor in your circuit to start off with so you don't actually need to know it, nor does it appear in the impedance expression. It usually helps to construct phasor diagrams in this situation. If you construct a phasor diagram you can see that the phase angle [tex]\phi[/tex] between the current and voltage is related by the expression:

tan([tex]\phi[/tex]) = [tex]X_L/R[/tex]

From this you can express [tex]X_L[/tex] in terms of R or R in terms of [tex]X_L[/tex] and then solve the original impedance expression of:

[tex]Z^2[/tex] = [tex]R^2[/tex] +[tex]X_L^2[/tex]

I knew that about the capacitor...I was unaware you could manipulate the impedance expression like that but it makes sense since there is no capacitor! Thank you so much for your help...so much.

Yeah the only reason it is [tex]X_L-X_C[/tex] for the impedance in an RLC series circuit is because the voltage across the inductor leads the current by 90 degrees while the voltage across the capacitor lags the current by 90 degrees.
But phasors sometimes help to make these questions a lot easier.

Do you mean drawing a phasor diagram makes it easier? Could you explain that last statement a little more if you get time...thanks.

Sorry yeah, what I meant was that for problems like that one it's easier to see how to answer a question if you use phasors. I've attached what I mean.

Attachments

• Phasor.doc
    30 KB · Views: 333

Related to Solving for R & XL Given Z & Phase Angle

1. What is the formula for solving for R and XL given Z and phase angle?

The formula is R = Z * cos(phase angle) and XL = Z * sin(phase angle).

2. How do I determine the value of Z and phase angle in a circuit?

Z and phase angle can be determined using a multimeter or by analyzing the circuit diagram and calculating the values using Ohm's law.

3. Can I solve for R and XL if I only have the impedance value (Z) and phase angle?

Yes, using the formula R = Z * cos(phase angle) and XL = Z * sin(phase angle).

4. What is the significance of solving for R and XL in a circuit?

Solving for R and XL allows us to understand the behavior of the circuit in terms of resistance and reactance, which are important factors in determining the overall impedance and current flow.

5. Are there any limitations to using this method to solve for R and XL?

This method assumes that the circuit is purely resistive or purely reactive, and does not take into account any other factors that may affect the impedance and current flow in the circuit.