Solving Limit of Question with Given Solution -3/2

• MHB
  • Thread starter seal308
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit as n approaches infinity of [sqrt(n^2 +3n - 4) - sqrt(n^2 + 6n +5)] simplifies to -3/2 by multiplying by the conjugate and factoring out n from the numerator and denominator. Using L'Hopital's Rule is not recommended for this type of problem. Another approach is to substitute k=n^-1 and use differentiation to find the limit.
seal308
Hi,

I need help with the following limit, the solution is apparently -3/2 but I don't get it.

Question:
limit as n approaches infinity of [ sqrt(n^2 +3n - 4) - sqrt(n^2 + 6n +5) ]

Attempt: So I was just thinking to factor out n

like: (n^2)^(1/2) (1 + 3/n - 4/n^2)^1/2 - n (n^2)^(1/2) (1 + 6/n + 5/n^2)^1/2

(n^2)^(1/2) simplifies to just n. factor n out from both terms.
Also 3/n, 4/n^2, 6/n, 5/n^2 all go to 0.

So when you clear things up: n [ 1^1/2 - 1^1/2] so that's a limit of infinity times 0, so I put the n in the denominator and then use l'hoptial.

[ 1^1/2 - 1^1/2] / n^-1
top is just a constant to derivative of that is just 0.

That is as far as I got.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi seal308,

Usually with these kinds of problems it's not "allowed" to use L'Hopital's Rule or it's strongly discouraged. Let's see if we can find an algebraic solution. :)

\(\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\sqrt{n^2 +3n - 4} - \sqrt{n^2 + 6n +5}\)

Let's multiply by the conjugate of this expression: \(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{n^2 +3n - 4} +\sqrt{n^2 + 6n +5}}{\sqrt{n^2 +3n - 4} +\sqrt{n^2 + 6n +5}}\)

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{n^2 +3n - 4} - \sqrt{n^2 + 6n +5} \left(\frac{\sqrt{n^2 +3n - 4} +\sqrt{n^2 + 6n +5}}{\sqrt{n^2 +3n - 4} +\sqrt{n^2 + 6n +5}} \right) = \frac{n^2+3n-4-(n^2+6n+5)}{\sqrt{n^2 +3n - 4} +\sqrt{n^2 + 6n +5}}\)

What do we get when we simplify the numerator? Any idea what to do next?

Jameson said:
Hi seal308,

Usually with these kinds of problems it's not "allowed" to use L'Hopital's Rule or it's strongly discouraged. Let's see if we can find an algebraic solution. :)

\(\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\sqrt{n^2 +3n - 4} - \sqrt{n^2 + 6n +5}\)

Let's multiply by the conjugate of this expression: \(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{n^2 +3n - 4} +\sqrt{n^2 + 6n +5}}{\sqrt{n^2 +3n - 4} +\sqrt{n^2 + 6n +5}}\)

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{n^2 +3n - 4} - \sqrt{n^2 + 6n +5} \left(\frac{\sqrt{n^2 +3n - 4} +\sqrt{n^2 + 6n +5}}{\sqrt{n^2 +3n - 4} +\sqrt{n^2 + 6n +5}} \right) = \frac{n^2+3n-4-(n^2+6n+5)}{\sqrt{n^2 +3n - 4} +\sqrt{n^2 + 6n +5}}\)

What do we get when we simplify the numerator? Any idea what to do next?

I get it!
Simplify denom is 2n so do limit as n approaches infinity of (-3n - 9) /(2n)
Factor out the n: limit as n approaches infinity of n(-3 - 9/n) /n(2)
n cancels out, 9/n goes to 0 so you get -3/2.

But how do you know not to use l'hopitals rule and multiply by conjugate.
Was it because it involved square roots?

I agree that the numerator simplifies to $-3n-9$, but I'm not sure how you got the denominator reduces to $2n$. Could you show your work?

What I would do is factor out an $n^2$ from each term within the two square-roots.

For example: \(\displaystyle \sqrt{n^2 +3n - 4} = \sqrt{n^2\left(1+\frac{3}{n}-\frac{4}{n^2}\right)}=\sqrt{n^2} \sqrt{1+\frac{3}{n}-\frac{4}{n^2}}=n\sqrt{1+\frac{3}{n}-\frac{4}{n^2}} \)

I'll let you try the other one. To answer your question about how I knew to do this - the short answer is lots of practice. Once you do a lot of these limit problems you learn the tricks you have to use and multiplying by the conjugate is a very common one. If you see a limit in this form with a radical minus another radical as $x \rightarrow \infty$, then it might be a good thing to try. If you have a fraction with radicals in it and directly plugging in the limit gives you issues, then the conjugate might work then too. :)

Jameson said:
I agree that the numerator simplifies to $-3n-9$, but I'm not sure how you got the denominator reduces to $2n$. Could you show your work?

What I would do is factor out an $n^2$ from each term within the two square-roots.

For example: \(\displaystyle \sqrt{n^2 +3n - 4} = \sqrt{n^2\left(1+\frac{3}{n}-\frac{4}{n^2}\right)}=\sqrt{n^2} \sqrt{1+\frac{3}{n}-\frac{4}{n^2}}=n\sqrt{1+\frac{3}{n}-\frac{4}{n^2}} \)

I'll let you try the other one. To answer your question about how I knew to do this - the short answer is lots of practice. Once you do a lot of these limit problems you learn the tricks you have to use and multiplying by the conjugate is a very common one. If you see a limit in this form with a radical minus another radical as $x \rightarrow \infty$, then it might be a good thing to try. If you have a fraction with radicals in it and directly plugging in the limit gives you issues, then the conjugate might work then too. :)
I similified the denominator as follows:

sqrt(n^2 + 3n -4) + sqrt(n^2 + 6n +5)
which becomes (n^2)^(1/2) (1 + 3/n + 4/n^2)^1/2 + (n^2)^(1/2) (1+6/n + 5/n)^1/2
(n^2)^(1/2) simplifies to just n, factor n out. and 3/n, 4/n^2, 6/n and 5/n all go to 0 as n approaches infinity so i just said they go to 0.

So clearing thigs up you have in the denominator n (1^1/2+1^1/2) which is just n (1+1)

Is that wrong?

Ok, I see what you mean now. You applied the limit before canceling when you wrote the denominator becomes $2n$, but I see what you meant now.. I applied the limit at the end. Your algebra is correct but I would wait to apply the limit. Yep, I think you've got it!

If you are a fan of differentiation then by substituting $k=n^{-1}$

$$\lim_{k \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sqrt{1 +3k - k^2} - \sqrt{1 + 6k +5k^2}}{k} = \lim_{k \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(k)-f(0)}{k-0} = f'(0) $$

seal308 said:
Hi,

I need help with the following limit, the solution is apparently -3/2 but I don't get it.

Question:
limit as n approaches infinity of [ sqrt(n^2 +3n - 4) - sqrt(n^2 + 6n +5) ]

Attempt: So I was just thinking to factor out n

like: (n^2)^(1/2) (1 + 3/n - 4/n^2)^1/2 - n (n^2)^(1/2) (1 + 6/n + 5/n^2)^1/2

(n^2)^(1/2) simplifies to just n. factor n out from both terms.
Also 3/n, 4/n^2, 6/n, 5/n^2 all go to 0.

So when you clear things up: n [ 1^1/2 - 1^1/2] so that's a limit of infinity times 0, so I put the n in the denominator and then use l'hoptial.

[ 1^1/2 - 1^1/2] / n^-1
top is just a constant to derivative of that is just 0.

That is as far as I got.

If I were going to apply L'Hôpital's Rule here, I would first write the limit as:

\(\displaystyle L=\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{\sqrt{1+\dfrac{3}{n}-\dfrac{4}{n^2}}-\sqrt{1+\dfrac{6}{n}+\dfrac{5}{n^2}}}{\dfrac{1}{n}}\)

Now, for the sake of simplcity, let's use the substitution: \(\displaystyle u=\frac{1}{n}\) and we may write:

\(\displaystyle L=\lim_{u\to0}\frac{\sqrt{1+3u-4u^2}-\sqrt{1+6u+5u^2}}{u}\)

We have the indeterminate form 0/0, and so L'Hôpital's Rule allows:

\(\displaystyle L=\lim_{u\to0}\left(\frac{3-8u}{2\sqrt{1+3u-4u^2}}-\frac{5u+3}{\sqrt{1+6u+5u^2}}\right)=\frac{3}{2}-3=-\frac{3}{2}\)

Related to Solving Limit of Question with Given Solution -3/2

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value or tends towards infinity.

2. How do you solve a limit?

To solve a limit, you can use various techniques such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, factoring, and the use of limit laws. You can also use graphical methods or numerical approximations to find the limit.

3. What is the limit of a function at a specific point?

The limit of a function at a specific point is the value that the function approaches as the input value approaches the specified point. It does not necessarily have to be the same as the actual value of the function at that point.

4. How do you determine if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the left-hand and right-hand limits of the function at a specific point are equal. This means that the function has a well-defined behavior at that point and is continuous.

5. How do you use a given solution to solve a limit question?

To solve a limit question with a given solution, you can substitute the given value into the function and solve for the limit. You can also use the given solution to check if the limit exists and if the function is continuous at that point.