Solving Modular Equations with Multiple Variables

• Thread starter krispiekr3am
  • Start date
In summary: For example, I think you mean these are three different equations in x, and you want to solve them simultaneously (or at least someone wants to solve them simultaneously). It would also help if you wrote everything in the same "form", so we can see it's all the same operation. For example, I'd write the last one as $37x \equiv 5 \mod 13$, and then it's obvious that the three equations have the same format.Anyway. Considering trying to solve this problem by making the first equation look like the second, and then making the result look like the third.
krispiekr3am
5x = 1 (mod 13)
13x = 2 (mod 23)
37x = 5 (mod 13)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
krispiekr3am said:
5x = 1 (mod 13)
13x = 2 (mod 23)
37x = 5 (mod 13)

Start off with the definition of 'mod': http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Congruence.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
krispiekr3am said:
5x = 1 (mod 13)
13x = 2 (mod 23)
37x = 5 (mod 13)
You could use the chinese remainder theorem if you can put it in the appropriate form. For example if you find some k such that 5k = 1 mod 13 (Euclid's algorithm), then the first equation is x = k (mod 13).

i started with this
5x-1=13y
x=(13y+1)/5
y=1
x then =12/5
is that correct?
-------------------------------
13x-2=23y
x=(23y+2)/13
y=0
x then = 2/13?
-------------------------------

37x-5=13y
x=(13y+5)/37
y=1
x then = 18/37

is that right?

i have created an excel and create a table like this
x 3x module7
1 3 3
2 6 6
3 9 2
4 12 5
5 15 1

What should i do with this graph to do with 13x=2(mod23)

As has been said, use the Chinese remainder theorem (whcih is Euclid's algorithm but dressed up).

Of course if you typed it correctly you're looking for 5x=1 (13) and 37x=5 (13). Are those even compatible? The fact that you've written 37 and not 11 means that either you've mistyped the 13, or you're not happy with modulo arithmetic, and don't see that you can always replace something with something else congruent mod m if it helps.

matt grime said:
Are those even compatible?

Nope, [itex]5\not\equiv8\pmod{13}[/itex].

Yes, I know. It was rhetorical/supposed to make the OP think about it, not someone for whom the question is easy.

the answer to 5x = 1 (mod 13) is x = 8 (mod 13)
and the answer to 13x = 2 (mod 23) is x = 9 (mod 23)
and the answer to 37x = 5 (mod 13) is x = 4 (mod 13)

So those aren't sumultaneous equations then? It would greatly benefit you (and would stop you driving your teachers mad) if you wrote things unambiguously, and in full sentences.

Related to Solving Modular Equations with Multiple Variables

1. How do you solve for X when there are multiple variables?

When there are multiple variables, you need to use a system of equations to solve for X. This means you will have multiple equations with multiple variables, and you will need to use algebraic techniques such as substitution or elimination to solve for X.

2. What is the order of operations for solving for X?

The order of operations for solving for X is the same as the order of operations for solving any other equation. This means you should first simplify any parentheses or brackets, then perform multiplication and division from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right.

3. How do you solve for X with fractions?

To solve for X when there are fractions involved, you will need to find a common denominator and then combine the fractions. Once you have a single fraction, you can use algebraic techniques to isolate X and solve for it.

4. How do you check your answer when solving for X?

To check your answer when solving for X, you can plug the value you found for X back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If both sides of the equation are equal, then your answer is correct.

5. What do you do when you get a negative value for X?

If you get a negative value for X, it means that your equation has a solution, but it is not a real number. This could happen if the original equation involves square roots, which can result in positive or negative values. You can still check your answer and see if it satisfies the equation.