Solving Mystery of Hacked Search Engines

In summary, the speaker is experiencing strange behavior when using search engines such as Google and Yahoo. They initially had Google set as their homepage, but it began showing imprecise results. They then changed to Yahoo, but it is now exhibiting the same behavior. The speaker has checked for any malicious files, but has found nothing. They are seeking suggestions on how to address this issue. Another person in the conversation explains that large numbers in search results are often rounded off and that the absence of "www" in some website URLs should not cause any problems. They also mention being on Linux, so they doubt it is caused by adware.
Delta
Something strange is going on when I'm using search engines like google and yahoo.

At first my homepage was google, but it started to play up because it was coming up with elusive results. For one thing at the top when it shows found 50 of approximately 51,356, now the numbers are very round, e.g. showing 50 of approximately 21,900,000. I notice the sites found do not have the www. starter but are of the type http://sitename.com

I since changed my homepage to yahoo which was working fine, but now that is doing the same thing.

I can't find any dodgy files in the usual folder, ad-aware finds nothing, can't find anything unordinary in the registry or in the running processes. I've cleared my cookies and temporary files, etc.

Anyone got any ideas, where this ones lurking?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't see any of that as a problem. For big numbers, they round off the totals. You're never going to search 200 million results by hand. (If you do, seek help immediately, the psychiatric kind). So the DNS is leaving off the www. Mostly does not matter(i can't think of a reason it would, but I'm sure there is some instance that it might). Sites like slashdot won't have it for me, others will. Hasn't caused any problems. All that you described occurrs when i do a vague search (many hits, and some sites not having www.). Being that I'm on Linux, I highly doubt its anything like adware or anything like that.

It sounds like your search engines may have been hacked or tampered with in some way. This is definitely a cause for concern and it's important to address it as soon as possible.

One possibility is that your computer may have been infected with malware that is redirecting your search results. I would recommend running a full virus scan and also using a reputable anti-malware program to check for any potential threats.

Another possibility is that your internet settings may have been changed without your knowledge. You can try resetting your browser to its default settings and see if that resolves the issue.

If these solutions do not work, it may be worth contacting the support teams for Google and Yahoo to report the issue and see if they can provide any assistance. They may also be able to check if there have been any reports of similar issues from other users.

In the meantime, it's important to be cautious when clicking on any links or downloading any files from questionable websites. It's also a good idea to regularly update your security software and be vigilant about any unusual activity on your computer.

I hope this helps and that you are able to resolve the issue soon. Stay safe online!

Related to Solving Mystery of Hacked Search Engines

What is a hacked search engine?

A hacked search engine is a search engine that has been infected with malicious code or has been manipulated to display false or misleading search results. This can occur through a variety of techniques, including hacking into the search engine's database or using SEO tactics to manipulate rankings.

How do hacked search engines affect users?

Hacked search engines can affect users in several ways. They can lead to the spread of malware, phishing scams, and other cyber attacks. They can also provide users with inaccurate or biased search results, making it difficult to find reliable information.

How can hacked search engines be detected?

Hacked search engines can be detected through various methods, such as monitoring website traffic, analyzing search rankings and patterns, and using security tools to scan for malicious code. Additionally, users can look out for suspicious search results or unexpected redirects.

What steps can be taken to prevent hacked search engines?

To prevent hacked search engines, website owners and search engine providers can implement strong security measures, regularly update software and plugins, and regularly monitor website traffic and search rankings. Users can also protect themselves by using reputable search engines and avoiding clicking on suspicious links.

What should users do if they suspect a search engine has been hacked?

If a user suspects a search engine has been hacked, they should report it immediately to the search engine provider or website owner. They can also take steps to protect their own devices, such as running a virus scan and changing passwords. It is also recommended to use a different search engine until the issue has been resolved.