Solving Network Doubt: Finding Computer IPs on WindowsXP

In summary, an IP address is a numerical label that serves as a unique identifier for devices connected to a computer network. To find the IP address of a Windows XP computer, one can open the Command Prompt and type "ipconfig." Knowing the IP address is important for connecting to other devices and troubleshooting network issues. The IP address can also be changed on Windows XP by accessing the Network Connections window. If the IP address cannot be found, one should ensure they are using the correct method and troubleshoot their network connection or contact their internet service provider.
karthik3k
Im using WindowsXp in LAN.
I cud see workgroup computers.
But how shall i know the IP of those Computers ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
try using netstat in the command prompt

or ping their computer name from a command prompt.
It should resolve the ip address.

i.e. (my computer name is john800)
c:\>ping john800

Related to Solving Network Doubt: Finding Computer IPs on WindowsXP

1. What is an IP address?

An IP address, short for Internet Protocol address, is a numerical label assigned to every device connected to a computer network. It serves as a unique identifier for each device, allowing them to communicate with each other over the network.

2. How do I find the IP address of my computer on Windows XP?

To find the IP address of your computer on Windows XP, you can click on the Start menu and open the Command Prompt. Then, type "ipconfig" and press enter. This will display your computer's IP address, along with other network information.

3. Why is it important to know my computer's IP address?

Knowing your computer's IP address is important for a few reasons. It allows you to connect to other devices and services on the network, and also helps with troubleshooting network issues. Additionally, some websites and applications may require you to know your IP address for security purposes.

4. Can I change my computer's IP address on Windows XP?

Yes, you can change your computer's IP address on Windows XP. You can do this by opening the Network Connections window, right-clicking on the network adapter you are using, and selecting "Properties." Then, click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and select "Properties" again. From there, you can manually change your IP address.

5. What should I do if I can't find my computer's IP address on Windows XP?

If you are unable to find your computer's IP address on Windows XP, there could be a few potential issues. First, make sure you are using the correct command or method to find the IP address. If that doesn't work, you may need to troubleshoot your network connection or contact your internet service provider for assistance.