Solving Phase Change Question: What is the specific heat?

In summary: ChemBuddy chemical calculators - buffer calculator, stoichiometry calculatorwww.ph-meter.info - ph meter, ph electrodeYou would need to use an equation for the heat of a phase change.
dnartS
We have a tricky question for homework that is starting our new unit of phase changes, after we have been doing calorimetry

120.0g of an unknown solid at 235*c is added to a 1.5kg piece of ice at -20*c inside a styrofoam container. After a period of time, both substances areat 120*c. What is the specific heat of the unknown material in kJ/g.*c and kcal/g.*c?

Here's what I was thinking yesterday:

Qsurround = Mh20Ch20ΔT ([120]-[20])

but I'm confused and that wouldn't account for the phase change in the question.

My teacher gave us this hint today:

"Qsurroundings = Q1 + Q2 + Q3 + Q4 + Q5"

Any help would be great thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what surroundings have to do here. It is as usual - heat gained equals heat lost. If you started with ice and ended at 120 deg C, you had two phase changes on the way. Thus heating of the water can be expressed as sum of five parts - three being heating of water in different states of aggregation, two being latent heat of the phase change.

--

Borek said:
Not sure what surroundings have to do here. It is as usual - heat gained equals heat lost. If you started with ice and ended at 120 deg C, you had two phase changes on the way. Thus heating of the water can be expressed as sum of five parts - three being heating of water in different states of aggregation, two being latent heat of the phase change.

--
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - buffer calculator, stoichiometry calculator
www.ph-meter.info - ph meter, ph electrode

Yes, so if Ch20(s) = 2.05 J/g.*c and Ch20(g) = 2.08 J/g.*c and we need to find Qsurroundings of each of the 5 parts, what would I do?

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by surroundings. In the calorimeter we did everything possible to isolate everything involved from the surroundings, so we have to deal with heat gained by things that were cold, and heat lost by things that were initially hot.

I can only guess that by surroudnings you mean things OTHER then the substance for which you make calculations, but it doesn't make much sense in this case.

Let's start with water - there are three stages of heating, an you have already listed equation that have to be used (although you listed it in a very cryptic way - please use * for multiplication, guessing where are the borders between variable names in Mh20Ch20ΔT is a waste of time). Can you calculate amount of heat required for raising temperature of ice to the melting point?

--

dnartS said:
Can you calculate amount of heat required for raising temperature of ice to the melting point?
How would I calculate the amount of heat required for raising temperature of ice to 0*c?

How would you calculate the amount of heat required for raising temperature of ANY substance by ΔT?

--

Related to Solving Phase Change Question: What is the specific heat?

1. What is specific heat and why is it important?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to change the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is important because it helps us understand how different substances absorb and release heat, which is crucial in many scientific and engineering applications.

2. How do you calculate specific heat?

Specific heat can be calculated by dividing the amount of heat transferred by the change in temperature and the mass of the substance. The formula is: specific heat = heat transferred / (mass x change in temperature).

3. What factors affect the specific heat of a substance?

The specific heat of a substance is affected by its molecular structure, mass, and temperature. Substances with stronger intermolecular forces tend to have higher specific heat, while substances with lower mass and higher temperature tend to have lower specific heat.

4. How does specific heat play a role in phase change?

During a phase change, the temperature of a substance remains constant even though heat is being added or removed. This is because the energy is being used to break or form intermolecular bonds, rather than changing the temperature. The specific heat of a substance also changes during a phase change, as different amounts of energy are required to change the state of matter.

5. How is specific heat used in real-life applications?

Specific heat is used in various fields such as thermodynamics, materials science, and engineering. It is important in designing and building heating and cooling systems, understanding the properties of different materials, and predicting the behavior of substances under different conditions. It is also used in cooking and food science to determine the best methods for heating and cooling different types of food.