Solving Second Order ODE: True or False?

In summary, the conversation is about determining whether the second order differential equation is equivalent to a system of linear equations, solved by integrating factors, or linear. The notation used is explained to be a convention where dots represent derivatives with respect to time and primes represent derivatives with respect to space. The process of solving the equation is also discussed, with the suggestion to try differentiating the first equation and substituting into the second to see if the original equation can be recovered. The speaker also mentions alternative methods such as using the method of undetermined coefficients, the annihilator method, or variation of parameters.
Guest2
I'm supposed determine whether following statements are true or false. However, I can't get past the notation.

Question: the second order differential equation $\ddot{x}+\dot{x}+x = 9t$ is:

(a) equivalent to $\begin{cases} \dot{x} = y, & \\ \dot{y}=-y-x+9t, &\end{cases}$ (b) solved by integrating factors, (c) linear.

I don't understand what the dots mean to properly do the question. So what do you they mean? I'd also appreciate any help on the question itself.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a convention, using Newton's notation, that primes denote derivatives w.r.t. $x$, or space, and dots represent derivatives w.r.t. $t$, or time. So your DE is equivalent to
$$\frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2}+\d{x(t)}{t}+x(t)=9t,$$
where I have written $x=x(t)$ to emphasize that we are thinking of $x$ as a function of time. As for seeing if a is true, try differentiating the first equation, and substituting into the second, to see if you can recover the original DE. I'm not sure about b, but c is definitely true.

I agree it is linear, and in its original form, I would solve it using the method of undetermined coefficients, but you could also use the annihilator method, or variation of parameters. :)

Related to Solving Second Order ODE: True or False?

1. What is a second order ODE?

A second order ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. It represents the relationship between a quantity and its rate of change.

2. How do you solve a second order ODE?

To solve a second order ODE, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor. The specific method used will depend on the type of equation and initial/boundary conditions given.

3. Can all second order ODEs be solved analytically?

No, not all second order ODEs can be solved analytically. Some may require numerical methods or approximations to find a solution.

4. Is it necessary to know the initial conditions to solve a second order ODE?

Yes, typically the initial conditions (or boundary conditions) are necessary to solve a second order ODE. These conditions provide information about the behavior of the solution and help determine the constants of integration.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving second order ODEs?

Second order ODEs are used to model many physical phenomena, such as motion of objects under the influence of forces, electrical circuits, and population growth. They are also used in engineering, physics, and economics to analyze and predict behavior of systems.