Solving Steady State-Circuits: Step by Step Example

• Thread starter rafterman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steady
In summary, you are having difficulty understanding the equation and need someone to help you with it step by step.
rafterman
This is a simple question. I know the equation I am supposed to use but I can not get my head around one part. The part in brackets! I keep getting wild numbers as my answer

The equation is :-

I = V/R * (1 - e^t*R/L)

can I ask someone to give me a step by step example of how you place the relevant numbers into it.

V=6
R=10
L= 1 x 10 -4 H
t=1.0 x 10-5 s
e=2.72 (3sf)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation describes how current changes with time in a RL series circuit fed by a battery V.
However, there is a mistake, the equation should read:

I(t)=V/R * [1-e^(-t*R/L)] (note the sign change)

My guess is that you don't understand the meaning of e^. In computer jargon ^ stands for exponentiation. Now you shouldn't have problems with this equation.

Hi

So are you saying that [1-e^(-t*R/L)] just means (-e) -2.72 to the power of the total -t*R/L

[tex]I(t) = \frac V R (1-e^{-\frac{tR}{L}})[/tex]

Hi Borak

I know that's the equation I need, but the part in brackets is confusing me. I am not sure I am utilising it correctly.

My book has the equation but no examples of it workings, so I can not see how the bracket part can be substituted for the numbers I have worked out.

[tex]e^{-\frac{tR}{L}}[/tex]

is an exponential function, e to

[tex]-\frac{tR}{L}[/tex]

power. If you don't know what that means and how to calculate it, you should quickly get back to your math books.

Yeah, I guess...my physics teacher just says read the books instead of him teaching it.

Thanks anyway.

Don't get me wrong. What I am aiming at is that it is a simple calculation - if you have a problem with it it means your math skills are way too low for things you are expected to do. We can help you checking if your result is OK, we can point you to the fact exponential function exists, but it is up to you to learn about it.

Borek

Honestly thanks, I am struggling slightly because I am playing catch up. Be away from school for a long while due to injury. I have re-read my books and eventually figured it out, some of the numbers I was getting originally as the answer were just not looking right, I really started to confuse myself.

Thanks again

Related to Solving Steady State-Circuits: Step by Step Example

1. What is a steady state circuit?

A steady state circuit is a circuit in which all voltages and currents have reached a constant value and are not changing over time. This typically occurs after a circuit has been operating for a long period of time.

2. How do you solve a steady state circuit?

To solve a steady state circuit, you must first apply Kirchhoff's laws to determine the voltage and current values at each node and branch in the circuit. Then, you can use Ohm's law and other circuit analysis techniques to calculate the desired values.

3. What is an example of solving a steady state circuit step by step?

An example of solving a steady state circuit step by step would be using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to determine the voltage and current values in a simple series or parallel circuit. This would involve setting up and solving a system of equations to find the unknown values.

4. Why is it important to solve steady state circuits?

Solving steady state circuits is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a circuit and predict its performance. This is crucial in designing and troubleshooting electronic systems.

5. What are some common challenges when solving steady state circuits?

Some common challenges when solving steady state circuits include dealing with non-linear components, such as diodes, and complex circuits with multiple nodes and branches. It can also be difficult to accurately measure or calculate the values of components in a circuit.