Solving the Rocket Egg Problem: Help Kyle Launch and Land!

• Thread starter explorien86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Egg Rocket
In summary, a student is tasked with building a rocket that can launch 30-40+ feet into the air with a stage C rocket engine, while carrying and landing an egg without breaking it. The student is struggling to come up with a practical design and has received suggestions to use a foam block, a cone shape with more weight at the bottom, or a "feather weight" recovery system from a hobby store model rocket. However, the student is unable to access a hobby store and is looking for other resources to learn about this system.
explorien86
My class was just handed a project to do;
The project intales us to build a rocket out of what ever, as long as its not like a purchased rocket kit. Then launch it 30-40+ feet in the air with a stage C rocket engine. However the catch is it has to hold a egg in/on it and be able to land without breaking the egg.
So far Iv come up with some ideas, but non seem either practical, or when i tested a similar concept just droping it off the house roof the egg doesn't even make it, let alone launch and landing.
Help me Please!
Thanks Much for any ideas possible!
Kyle

Physics news on Phys.org
you dooo have a parachute don't you? try encasing the egg in a foam like substance, try homedepot and see if they have one of those foam blocks with sandpaper on the sides. i just cut off the sides, fitted it to the tube and carved out room for the eggs, worked well except for the high center of gravity that made it go crash boom. honestly, if you have a big enough parachute that egg will be fine though.

Adam

IM me if u need more help, i love model rockets AdamChess4

Well, what gets me is how are you going to attach a compartment to the rocket for the egg while simultaneously providing a passage way for the charge to deploy the parachute? Logistics I guess but it's not happening for me somehow.

Another question: Won't the force of the rocket taking off break the egg? Need to insulate it I guess.

Another one: Isn't an egg, comparred to a typical Estes rocket engine like real heavy? I wouldn't think one rocket engine would do it.

I'm thinking, that tube inside paper towels, some balsa wood for the fins (use lots of good glue) one nice piece to make the tip of the rocket (lots of sanding though). Just buy a tip. Make a nice engine housing (to hold the rocket engine so it doesn't blast through your egg and though the tip of the rocket without taking off). Paint it real nice; maybe you'll get credit for looks even if the egg breaks!

Arsonade - well sadly saltydog is right, we can't use parashoot cause of the need for detination. so he said just don't try to use them at all. (wow another complication x.x)

saltydog - yeah, it is going to be complicated with it launching and not breaking the egg. I believe the teacher said that he is going to do something about the detination part of the rocket when its depleated so it won't add more harm to the egg. but I am not 100% sure either :-(

This is doing a big number on my brain! so many varibles I am going insane!

What do you think about I cone shape with more weight on the bottom?
/_\ <-- like that kinda, that way when it fell it will stay bottom side down, then i could have the egg up top. What do you think arsonade?

explorien86 said:
Arsonade - well sadly saltydog is right, we can't use parashoot cause of the need for detination. so he said just don't try to use them at all. (wow another complication x.x)

saltydog - yeah, it is going to be complicated with it launching and not breaking the egg. I believe the teacher said that he is going to do something about the detination part of the rocket when its depleated so it won't add more harm to the egg. but I am not 100% sure either :-(

This is doing a big number on my brain! so many varibles I am going insane!

What do you think about I cone shape with more weight on the bottom?
/_\ <-- like that kinda, that way when it fell it will stay bottom side down, then i could have the egg up top. What do you think arsonade?

How about this: (my son and I have great experience in this matter) Some model rockets, when the small charge goes off to blow out the parachute, they plug it up so that the engine itself shoots out causing the rubber-band powered fins to flip so that it "twirls" down softly without a parachute. Egg's kinda heavy though. Might not work. Also, if it were us, we'd strap on a few more rocket engines but we're like that you know.

saltydog said:
How about this: (my son and I have great experience in this matter) Some model rockets, when the small charge goes off to blow out the parachute, they plug it up so that the engine itself shoots out causing the rubber-band powered fins to flip so that it "twirls" down softly without a parachute. Egg's kinda heavy though. Might not work. Also, if it were us, we'd strap on a few more rocket engines but we're like that you know.

Hey Can you send me abit more information on that. That may be a really good start still. Thanks

explorien86 said:
Hey Can you send me abit more information on that. That may be a really good start still. Thanks

Hello Explorien,

Thinking about it more, I think that's a good first start. It eliminates the conflict of the egg getting in the way of the parachute charge. It's called "feather weight" recovery. I tell you what, why don't you just buy a "feather weight recovery" model rocket at the hobby store, see how the fins are set up to "trip" when the engine is ejected, then just apply that to the paper towel roll. You know, if you don't have a roll, just buy a pack of paper towels, unwind it, throw away the towels, and just keep the roll.

I won't be able to buy one in time to learn about the system (hobby shops arnt around here) But thanks for the idea, Ill trying finding something on google (no luck yet tho).
Thanks Saltydog

Here's a website about "helicopter recovery:

Press Button

It's a bit sophisticated though. You know what, I say just build an ordinary rocket and if I were your teacher and it gets off the ground and doesn't hurt anyone, I'd give you a passing grade!

Related to Solving the Rocket Egg Problem: Help Kyle Launch and Land!

1. How does the rocket egg problem relate to real-life situations?

The rocket egg problem is a theoretical scenario that simulates the challenges and considerations involved in launching and landing a rocket in a controlled manner. This problem is often used in educational settings to teach students about the principles of physics and engineering, which are essential in many real-life situations involving rockets, such as space exploration and commercial space travel.

2. What are the main factors that affect the success of launching and landing a rocket?

The main factors that affect the success of launching and landing a rocket include the design and construction of the rocket, the amount and distribution of fuel, the trajectory and thrust of the rocket, and external factors such as wind and air resistance. Additionally, the timing and coordination of various stages of flight, such as ignition, separation, and landing, are crucial in ensuring a successful launch and landing.

3. How can we solve the rocket egg problem?

Solving the rocket egg problem involves applying the laws of physics and principles of engineering to design and execute a successful launch and landing. This includes calculating the optimal trajectory and thrust, determining the right amount and distribution of fuel, and accounting for external factors. It also involves testing and refining the design and strategy through trial and error and making adjustments as needed to achieve a successful outcome.

4. What are some common challenges in solving the rocket egg problem?

Some common challenges in solving the rocket egg problem include accurately predicting and accounting for external factors such as wind and air resistance, coordinating the timing and execution of different stages of flight, and ensuring the structural integrity and stability of the rocket. Additionally, limited resources and time constraints may also present challenges in finding the most efficient and effective solution.

5. How can solving the rocket egg problem benefit society?

Solving the rocket egg problem can benefit society by fostering critical thinking and problem-solving skills in individuals, especially in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. It also helps to deepen our understanding of the principles of physics and engineering and their applications in real-world scenarios, such as space exploration and commercial space travel, which can ultimately lead to advancements and innovations in these fields.