Solving Trig Problem: Showing Sin(1/9pi) to Sin(4/9pi)=3/16

• Thread starter mohlam12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation sin(1/9pi)sin(2/9pi)sin(1/3pi)sin(4/9pi) = 3/16. The person has tried different methods but couldn't reach the desired answer. They mention using the relation sin(a+b) = sina cosb + sinb cosa and factoring with sin(pi/9) but are unsure of the correct approach. However, they eventually solve the problem.
mohlam12
hey,
i have to show that
[tex] \sin \left( 1/9\,\pi \right) \sin \left( 2/9\,\pi \right) \sin \left(

1/3\,\pi \right) \sin \left( 4/9\,\pi \right) = 3/16 [/tex]

i ve tried so many things, and i couldn't get to 3/16 :confused: , does anyone have any hints that are going to help me solve problems in that kind!? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It works for me. What have you done?

Well, i have remplaced sin(2pi/9) by sin(3pi/9 - pi/9) and sin(3pi/9) by sin(4pi/9 - pi/9) and so on, and used the relation sin(a+b)=sina cosb + sinb cos a. so everything will have sin(pi/9) in it, so i can factor with that to get something helpful. but i guess i just messed everything up, and i don't know what relation i can use to get closer the 3/16 or what method i should use

never mind, i got it :smile:

Related to Solving Trig Problem: Showing Sin(1/9pi) to Sin(4/9pi)=3/16

What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving angles and distances in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

How do you solve a trig problem?

To solve a trig problem, you need to use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to find missing angles or sides in a triangle. These functions use ratios of sides in a right triangle to calculate the values.

What is the sine function?

The sine function (sin) is one of the primary trigonometric functions. It represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle. In other words, it calculates the ratio of the height of a triangle to its longest side.

How do you show that sin(1/9pi) to sin(4/9pi) is equal to 3/16?

To show that sin(1/9pi) to sin(4/9pi) is equal to 3/16, you can use the double-angle formula for sine. This formula states that sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x). By applying this formula, you can rewrite the left side of the equation as 2sin(2/9pi)cos(2/9pi), which simplifies to 2(3/16)(√3/16) = 3/16.

What are the steps to solve a trig problem using the double-angle formula?

The steps to solve a trig problem using the double-angle formula are as follows:
1. Identify which trigonometric function you need to use (sin, cos, or tan)
2. Determine the angle or angles involved in the problem
3. Use the appropriate double-angle formula to rewrite the equation
4. Simplify the equation using known values and trigonometric identities
5. Solve for the unknown value if necessary