Solving "Woes of Mathematica" for Natski

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter natski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary: In Mathematica, if you type 0.0i, it will be interpreted as a single number, 0.0i. If you type 0.0 i, it will be interpreted as 0.0 times the variable i, which may help you get the desired output.In summary, the conversation revolves around difficulties in plotting a function in Mathematica that contains parts like Cos(1000t+0.0i) and how to eliminate the 0.0i from the function. The use of the RealOnly add-on and the Chop function were suggested as possible solutions. It was also mentioned to make sure there are spaces between objects being multiplied in order to correctly interpret the input.
natski
Hi,

I am having a terrible time trying to plot a function in Mathematica that is evaluated to have parts like: Cos(1000t+0.0i)

When I try and plot it against t, it says that the function is not machine size at many values of t.

I can't understand why Mathematica is putting 0.0i in there and secondly why it thinks that 0.0i means it can't plot the function. Takign the Re[function] does nothing either.

There surely must be a way of changing MachinePrecision or FindRoots or something that can eliminate this 0.0i? I really can't understand why Mathematica has such a stupid output for a function that is clearly real.

There was a second problem, much less substantial; I want to play a sound without producing a graph of the signal, is this possible?

Big thank-you for anyone who can help,
Natski

Physics news on Phys.org
As I said in your previous thread on the same topic, you'd really need to show us the function you're trying to plot for us to really be able to help you. You were not willing to show us the function, for some reason, so I doubt you will show it here, either.

- Warren

I don't have any problem plotting that function with Mathematica. Are you using the required square brackets, [ and ], for both the Plot and Cos functions?

The correct syntax is Plot[Cos[t], {t, tmin, tmax}] where tmin and tmax specify the domain over which you will generate the plot.

I am not 100% sure about this but you might want to use the RealOnly Add-On. http://documents.wolfram.com/v5/Add-onsLinks/StandardPackages/Miscellaneous/RealOnly.html" is a link that shoul tell you how tu use it. I hope it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Chop function might allso help. Take a look http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/book/section-3.1.4" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure to put spaces between objects you are multiplying.

Related to Solving "Woes of Mathematica" for Natski

1. What are the "Woes of Mathematica" for Natski?

The "Woes of Mathematica" for Natski refer to the challenges and difficulties that arise when using the Mathematica software for mathematical computations and data analysis. These may include coding errors, data formatting issues, and difficulty in understanding and utilizing the various features of the software.

2. How can I troubleshoot coding errors in Mathematica for Natski?

If you encounter coding errors while using Mathematica for Natski, first check for typos and syntax errors in your code. You can also use the built-in debugger feature to identify and fix errors in your code. Additionally, you can search online forums and communities for solutions to common coding errors in Mathematica.

3. What data formatting issues can occur when using Mathematica for Natski?

Data formatting issues in Mathematica for Natski may include incorrect data types, missing or corrupted data, and issues with data import and export. To avoid these issues, it is important to carefully format your data before importing it into Mathematica. You can also use the built-in functions and tools in Mathematica to clean and manipulate your data.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Mathematica for Natski?

To improve your understanding of Mathematica for Natski, you can refer to the official documentation and tutorials provided by Wolfram, the company behind Mathematica. You can also join online communities and forums to connect with other Mathematica users and learn from their experiences. Additionally, practicing and experimenting with the software will also help improve your understanding.

5. Are there any tips for efficiently using Mathematica for Natski?

To use Mathematica for Natski efficiently, it is important to familiarize yourself with the various features and functions of the software. You can also optimize your code by using built-in functions and avoiding unnecessary loops and calculations. Additionally, regularly updating to the latest version of Mathematica can also improve its performance and efficiency.