Something like category theory but for physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of category theory in mathematics and whether there is a single framework that can unify different branches of physics. Various frameworks, such as classical field theory and probability theory, are mentioned but there is no definitive book on the topic. The closest source is an article on quantum probability theory, which discusses a classification system for theories of physics based on mathematical structures. The conversation ends with the suggestion that this could be a potential research topic.
Geofleur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was impressed how in R. Geroch's book, Mathematical Physics, category theory is used to unify so many different branches of mathematics. Is there a single framework that, in a similar way, unifies many or all branches of physics? If so, what are some good resources for learning it?

So far, the closest I have seen is perhaps the mathematics of linearity, of multi-linear maps and objects on which such maps act. Is there something better? It would be great to be able to see each area of physics as instantiating some one thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Classical field theory is one very general framework: classical mechanics, E&M, and thermodynamics can all be treated this way.

Likes Geofleur
Is there a good book that presents it in this way?

I think the most general framework is the one that views all theories of physics (including the classical ones) as probability theories. This topic is unfortunately extremely difficult. I don't think there's a good book on the topic, at least not at a level that can be understood by someone below the level of a graduate student in mathematics.

I only understand bits and pieces of it. I think I understand enough to say that a really good book on this topic should identify mathematical structures (lattices, algebras) that can be associated with every set of statements that can be considered a "theory of physics", and then classify theories by additional conditions satisfied by these structures. Then the book should describe the most interesting classes of theories. There is however no such book. The closest thing I can think of is the article "Quantum probability theory" by Redei and Summers, which contains a classification of (generalized) probability theories defined by von Neumann algebras.

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0601158

Likes Geofleur
Fredrik said:
I only understand bits and pieces of it. I think I understand enough to say that a really good book on this topic should identify mathematical structures (lattices, algebras) that can be associated with every set of statements that can be considered a "theory of physics", and then classify theories by additional conditions satisfied by these structures. Then the book should describe the most interesting classes of theories.

That's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind with my question! If there are no books on the subject, and if the only paper is about the quantum aspects, perhaps this would be a good research topic?

The paper mentions that non-commutative von Neumann algebras lead to classical theories, so the classical theories are included in the framework defined by the paper. Unfortunately I don't understand this well enough to explain the details.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it!

Related to Something like category theory but for physics

1. What is category theory?

Category theory is a branch of mathematics that studies abstract structures and relationships between them. It provides a framework for organizing and understanding various mathematical concepts and structures.

2. How is category theory applied in physics?

Category theory has been used to study and describe various physical phenomena, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. It provides a useful tool for analyzing and organizing complex mathematical structures and theories in physics.

3. Can category theory help unify different theories in physics?

Category theory has been proposed as a potential framework for unifying different theories in physics, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. By providing a common language and structure, category theory can potentially bridge the gaps between different theories and provide a more comprehensive understanding of the universe.

4. Are there any limitations to using category theory in physics?

Like any mathematical framework, category theory has its own limitations and may not be applicable to all areas of physics. It is a relatively new field and its potential applications in physics are still being explored and developed.

5. How can I learn more about category theory and its applications in physics?

There are various resources available for learning about category theory and its applications in physics, such as textbooks, online courses, and academic papers. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics before delving into the advanced concepts of category theory.